Having issues with Amnesia: The Dark Descent with my 9800 Pro.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexreich, Jul 29, 2012.

1. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I usually play this game on my Mac mini, since I bought it from the Mac App Store (and can run it on all high settings very well), but now that I have a better graphics card in my G5 I thought I'd give the demo a shot on my G5.

Downloaded the game, created a user account, then immediately after clicking 'Start New Game' or something of that nature my whole computer locks up instead of commencing gameplay. I can't quit the app, get to a Force Quit menu, or anything. I have to hold the Power button on my machine until it completely turns off, and then turn it on again.

Now I know that the game works fine, as I tried the demo before I put in my new GPU and it would run, but just wasn't playable. I'm thinking this is a driver issue, or something of that nature with the game. My 9600XT would actually run the game, it just did it badly. My 9800 Pro will not even start the game, and my whole machine locks up when I try to play.

According to the web, my graphics card, CPU, RAM, etc all meet the requirements.

What do you think the issue is here?

2. wobegong Guest

Not very helpful I'm afraid but I can confirm the game runs fine in a G5, I play this with no problems. If there's any settings etc you want me to check let me know and I'll send them over. Sorry not more help :(

3. chibiterasu, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I love this scary as hell game too :)

Well seeing as these are the minimum specs for it, I think your a bit too close to these for it to play nice although I would of thought it would of just run really badly on your system, not just lock it up. So I cant be of much help either other than to say its strange that it doesn't want to play at all, and I haven't heard anything of that graphics card begin unsupported :/

Processor: 2.0Ghz
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: Radeon 9600/GeForce 4 (GeForce4MX not supported)
    Hard Drive: 2GB space free

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

5. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

This is very strange indeed, i'm thinking it has something to do with the graphics card. Its the only variable that has changed since it was running with the 9600. So Its got to be the graphics card

6. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Just went through the Console and I don't see anything related to the system lock down that takes place when running the game. I just see this multiple times in a row, likely from attempting to play multiple times last night.

The second image is something that I only saw twice, what does that exiting with code=1 mean?

Attached Files:

7. archtopshop macrumors regular

The only way to confirm it's the 9800 that's the problem is to put the 9600 back in and see if it still works with the demo. If it does, then you can pretty much assume it's the 9800 causing the problem. On the other hand, if the 9600 now doesn't work, then you have something else going on.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

8. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

9. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Yes mine is a flashed 9800 Pro, and yes I have ATI displays installed.

10. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Hopefully its as simple as a bad graphics card and not a failing logic board

11. alexreich, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

The graphics card works fine in everything else and other games, just Amnesia gave me an issue. No big deal. Can play on my mini anyways...

I actually found a thread on the Frictional Games website where a guy with a 1.42GHz G4 and a 9800 Pro had the exact same issue. Looks like Amnesia is a no-go with the Radeon 9800 Pro. Oh well.