Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hi all. Fellow late 2012 iMac user here, got the 3TB fusion drive and a bunch of other goodies with this baby the day of release.

My goal today was to successfully use bootcamp to make a partition for win7 - I had the .iso all ready and just had to set up an install drive. I didn't have any big enough flash drives on my hand to get the job done, so I just grabbed my handy 1TB external drive and decided to install with it instead. I had about 88 gigs of data on it already, so just copied it over into a folder on my iMac and ran bootcamp in order to set it up. It did so successfully, and from there I decided to partition a good 505GB for windows.

Here's where things got bad.
After waiting a good 30 minutes for bootcamp to make any progress on the partition, I got impatient and decided to cancel the operation and verify my disk using disk utility. I simply pressed "Cancel," and as this did not actually perform any direct action, I then quit the application (NOT force quit). I tried opening it up again directly after this, and bootcamp would not launch; would just keep bouncing and showed up as unresponsive under force quit menu. From there I open up disk utility to directly verify my disk, and a few minutes in I realized I made the mistake of verifying while logged in. Stopped the verification process, tried to close out of the window, and was met with the confirmation message asking if I really wanted to cancel (I think there was some form of warning against corruption if you do this during certain operations, but I ignored as this was just a verification). Cancelled, and then restarted my computer while holding down CMD-F for recovery mode.

Open up disk utility under recovery mode, and this is where I notice the first problem. My hard drive capacity is showing up as 1.8TB, even though it's obviously 3TB. I verify the disk, and it throws a few errors and tells me to repair. Upon attempting to repair, however, the "Disk utility can't repair disk..." thing popped up and of course frightened me. I exited disk utility and restarted my computer, and luckily everything was working as normal (other than weird hd capacity). I decided the best thing to do would be to just back up my data (luckily I only have about 86 gigs of essential files), erase the hard drive using disk utility, and re-install OS X.

At the moment I am 3/4 through backing up files onto an external drive, I plan to simply start fresh and copy over the individual files I need.

Any thoughts? I don't want to hurt my $3k machine. Thanks.

Last edited:

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Sounds like the 3TB drive needs to be reformatted.

1. Press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and open Disk Utility.

2. Select Macintosh HD (or whatever the drive is called in your case) in the sidebar and repair the drive.

If it can't repair the drive:

1. Make a Time Machine backup (of the 3TB drive if it has information you need on it)

2. Press Command and R keys while your computer is starting, open Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD (or whatever the drive is called in your case) in the sidebar, select Erase tab, erase the drive and close Disk Utility.

3. On OS X Utilities window, select the option to restore the backup and follow its steps

This may help, I hope it does,

- Kyle

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Sounds like the 3TB drive needs to be reformatted.

1. Press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and open Disk Utility.

2. Select Macintosh HD (or whatever the drive is called in your case) in the sidebar and repair the drive.

If it can't repair the drive:

1. Make a Time Machine backup (of the 3TB drive if it has information you need on it)

2. Press Command and R keys while your computer is starting, open Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD (or whatever the drive is called in your case) in the sidebar, select Erase tab, erase the drive and close Disk Utility.

3. On OS X Utilities window, select the option to restore the backup and follow its steps

This may help, I hope it does,

- Kyle

Thanks, this is the general plan I've been following. Repair is not working, but I'm still able to access the computer just fine (writing this post on it). Just 4 minutes remaining until it finishes backing up and I'll erase and reinstall.

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Ok. Finished backing up, went into recovery mode and erased the disk. Capacity is STILL 1.8TB, and attempting to repair spits out a ton of errors just as it did before. Attempting to create a new partition on the actual drive greater than 1.8TB results in an error, and any other partition attempt halts with another error. Basically, I'm screwed, so I'll bring it into an apple store. Lucky I bought the apple care protection plan.

----------

Did I mention that just yesterday I ran a disk verify and everything was fine? So something I did really messed something up.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
It sounds like the external drive is corrupt in some way. It must contain damaged files with the missing 1.2TB

I'd recommend bringing into an Apple Store like you said. I'm not sure if I'm right, I've never personally experienced this problem I just searched on the Apple forums regarding this issue and I stated what I came up in the previous posts.

Hope this helps,
- Kyle

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Alright. Made an appt for 3:15 PM EST today, gonna post back outcome.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Please do post the outcome, I am interested in why it isn't showing the full capacity of your hard drive.

Hope you get it figured out,
- Kyle

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Back from the apple store. Never before have I been happier to have purchased the warranty.

Apparently the entire 128GB SSD portion of the fusion drive crashed, and the partition screwed up the software that manages it. They're gonna replace both drives just in case (128GB SSD & 3TB HHD). Also pointed out minor display imperfection to the guy who helped me, said they'll replace the display as well. Totaled out to cost $1,400, apple care makes it free for me. Getting it back over the weekend. All is well :)

----------

Also, thanks for your help Kyle, appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.