Having issues with iPhone receiving push from iCloud? READ THIS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starstreak, Oct 29, 2011.

?

are you having issues with NOT receiving pushes to iphone?

1. No problems at all. I have my mail app shutdown and my push mail comes in right away.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Yes! Your options helped me get my mail for the time being.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes. I tried your options and pushed email to my @me.com doesn't come in to my iphone.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. starstreak, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

starstreak macrumors 6502

There are those with no issues but I think many just aren't aware they MIGHT have this problem. You can't get pushed items unless you have the app running in background.

Try it. Stop running your Mail and iCal app. I'm told other apps that use push like Facebook won't work too (I don't use facebook). Then from another computer, send yourself a email to your @me.com account or update your calendar. You won't get your updates to your phone. The moment you open those apps, the items come in.

This is what I found out about the mail app:

1) If you have push ON fetch(I set mine to 15mins) ON, you will NOT get mail unless you have the mail app running in background.
    2) If you have push ON and fetch OFF, you will NOT get mail unless you have the mail app running in background.
    3) If you have push OFF and fetch ON, you WILL get mail at around the time the fetch is set to. WITH or WITHOUT mail app running in background.
    4) If you have both push and fetch OFF, well... No mail for you.

This next part is how I figured it was only receiving of push that doesn't work.

This is what I found out about the iCal app:
    I use PI (Pocket Informant), so I never have iCal running. I update my PI calendar and when I log into icloud on my home computer, it's updated. BUT when I added something in icloud or my home computer that is linked to icloud, my iphone never gets the update in PI.
    When I opened iCal on my iPhone, I saw the little "busy" circle appear and my updates took place.
    So..

1) If iCal is closed, I can still send pushes from the iPhone, but not receive.
    2) If iCal is open (at least running in background) I'll receive pushes to my iphone.

I hope my information helps those having the same issues. Do the poll. But please do it correctly. Don't just say mine works without checking to see if your push or fetch is on in the manner listed.

Apple needs to fix this.

Some of you say just keep the program open then...Well that's NOT how it should work. That's like saying your iphone battery is dying in 12 hours? Just keep it on the charger. No.
    Twice I missed a email because I closed my mail app by accident when I was closing my other apps. Good thing I don't do much calendar updates on my home computer or I would miss updates to my iphone.

2. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know about all the minutia of your post but I will state that Apples so-called "Push Notifications" have never been consistently prompt. That goes for emails, games, you name it...and yes, I have push notifications enabled on all those apps. I still often find that when I manually check the apps, I receive notifications that should have already been pushed.

3. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. For some reason, you need to have the app open in background to consistantky recieve pushes to the iphone. I never had this issue when I had my iphone 4 running IOS4. Only since upgrading to iPhone 4s with IOS5.