Having issues with my Green iMac G3.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TantalizedMind, Sep 17, 2014.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Haven't booted her up in a whole but I was looking to sell it and having a few issues.

1. This computer won't boot properly unless NOTHING is plugged into it. If the mouse/keyboard is hooked up, the computer boots but never gets passed a white screen.

2. The Apple keyboard I have works but the Apple mouse I have does not at all. It's the Apple Pro Mouse, black. It's from the early 2000's I think. But I just plugged in a new Apple mouse, the one with the scroll ball and that works fine. I'm confused. lol

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Is there really a reason to be confused? All the evidence is here. Sometimes good mice go bad.

a) system does not boot when keyboard and mouse are attached
    b) system boots when nothing is attached

Therefore, keyboard and/or mouse are the likely problem. How do you determine which of the two, or both, are the problem?

c) system works when keyboard is attached, but old mouse is not
    d) system works when the keyboard and a different mouse are attached

Therefore, the possibility that there's something wrong inside the Mac (USB port failure) is tremendously reduced. The issue is undoubtedly that old mouse (This Old Mouse?). If it's broken (say, a short circuit in the USB cable or connector), it's broken.

I'd guess you were hoping to sell a "complete set." That would increase the value somewhat, but the old mouse is still not the original mouse, so you're probably not losing much in value if you sell it with no mouse. I don't see the point of selling it with a new mouse, as you likely won't recover your investment.