Having issues with waking my laptop from Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comics addict, May 26, 2013.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I have a MacBook Pro 13", Core i5, Summer 2012 model. It's not even three months old but it exhibits a weird issue when I open the lid. I hardly ever shut down my Mac since I prefer to put it into sleep mode by closing the lid. Sometimes, for no reason & discernible cause, when I open the lid it might show the lock screen for me to input my password as it would do normally and then turn itself off. The light on the front besides the IR receiver keeps on flashing indicating that it's in sleep mode. Other times it won't turn on altogether without my intervention. I have to wait a couple of seconds before I try to press any key on the machine and see if it snaps it wake for me to resume using the computer. I have contacted AppleCare and followed what the advisor told me, first resetting the SMC & when that didn't work reinstalled the OS, to no avail. I am running the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion at 10.8.3 It's infrequent enough that I don't really mind but I am really curious as to what it is that it's happening ? Any ideas ? :confused:

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Be assertive with the geniuses. I've had a sleep issue with my 2009 MBP, and I finally just got it to replicate the issue yesterday. Thankfully Apple is still doing repairs for free even though my AppleCare ran out. I've had it in maybe 5 times in the last year and a half. Supposedly my issue has been related to the hard drive and the hard drive cable. I suspect logic board, but Apple hasn't found anything. Good luck!

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think it is software related, 10.8.4 will be out fairly soon, just wait for this, if it still happens on 10.8.4 contact Apple.

4. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you experience something similar while running OS X Mountain Lion ?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, I have a Mini, can't close the lid.;)

6. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hahaha, then why would you figure that it's most probably a software bug instead of a defect on my MBP ? ;)

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Because I also have an old Powerbook but as you know it can't run ML, I read a lot on MR, that's why I think it's software bug.
    I also used OS X since its inception, know the OS well.

8. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. At least I was cautious enough to purchase AppleCare for my MBP if worst comes to worst. :D