Having Kegger, need tips to protecting carpet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Sep 29, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey guys. Halloween is coming around the corner, and my roommates and I are having a kegger.

We are just trying to figure out some ways to protect our carpet so we can play some beer games and not have to worry about spills and puking.

I saw that there is that plastic rap that you can lay down (like when you move in to a new home), but I wasn't sure if that would be durable for the night and probably a 100-150 people coming in and out.
    I was also thinking that perhaps doing a craigslist search and looking for some free crappy carpet, and maybe laying some cheap plywood I have lying around between our carpet and the crap carpet.

Any thoughts?

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm guessing said kegger can't be held outside....

Hmmm, that's a tough one. You may just have to bite the bullet on this one. In any event have a great party!

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Some friends of mine had a kegger and used the plastic tarp to protect the kitchen floor. But we didn't have 150 people, more like 10 (and we still managed to finish off the entire keg :D)

If you're worried about the plastic, go to a hardware store and get some canvas drop cloths that painters use. Those should hold up just fine.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

No kegger can't be held outside. I wish!!!

Well I doubt 150 will truly come but more keg stands for me:cool:

Hmm canvas... interesting.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Put (very thick) plastic down and then put the canvas over it and you should be all set.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Sounds like a plan. Where exactly would I get really thick plastic? -- If this works Flip Cup and Beer Pong, here I come!!!

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Home Depot or Lowes usually has stuff like that.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Your location says Northridge... You going to CSUN?

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Games like that are a waste of time and beer. Just drink the stuff!

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

No I used to live in Northridge, but now I am in Woodland Hills. I thought I changed it on here. I got to a small film school that shares a complex with csun so my school can pretend to have dorms.

Blasphemer

Yeah I thought about that too, but for some damn reason we got lucky and got this really really nice carpet so I am trying to avoid it getting trampled on, thrown up on, and spilled on.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup. Go and buy a tarp. I think what I'd then do (if I were ever insane enough to host a party like this-- which I'm not), is buy a carpet from Home Depot. The ones I've been to have a "scrap" carpet area. You can get a 5'x7' carpet for <$20. So I'd lay the tarp down, and then the carpet over that so that hopefully the tarp doesn't get moved around too much and so it's not quite so gaudy.

12. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah I I was thinking about that because I found a guy giving away industrial carpet for free (20 x 20) strips. I figured that might do it. With some plastic under.

13. fotografica macrumors 68040

Rubber backed canvas drop cloths are your friend in this case.Homies or Lowes will have them..

In regard to plastic drops. Plastic over wood or vinyl flooring is slippery..Wet plastic is slippery as ice..Add in alcohol,and you've got some interesting potential there....