Having lots of problems with email setup and new 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LearningIt, Nov 6, 2015.

1. LearningIt macrumors newbie

I'm brand new to the iPhone (6sPlus). And not very good with computers so having all kinds of problems making this work correct. I've read all morning long but just can't figure out how to be able to have emails download to both my PC's Outlook and my iPhone without one or the other deleting the email from the other device as soon as it's opened.

My email service uses IMAP.

I would like to have to delete the same email from the PC and the iPhone when I want to remove them from each device. Can somebody walk me through how to set this up?

On iPhone, I went into Advanced on the email account.
    Deleted Messages Remove has Never picked.
    Move Discarded Messages into Deleted Mailbox is checked.
    Mailbox Behaviors has Deleted Mailbox On My iPhone checked.

I traded in a iPhone 5 which was originally set up by Apple and everything worked perfectly. No settings have been changed on Outlook, but the new 6s must be set different. And I don't have the 5 to compare settings with anymore.

Can anybody help?

Thank you!

2. LearningIt thread starter macrumors newbie

Still haven't gotten it both to work correctly. Can anybody help?

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Sorry, but I think I do not understand you right.

You want to delete every message twice? Once on your PC and then again in your phone?

4. LearningIt thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do (and had set up with my last phone). I'm fine with deleting twice. I am out of the house frequently a lot and sometimes PC at home is running with Outlook on it when I leave. This way I can read emails on phone wherever I am immediately, answer if I like or not, and still have the email on my main computer at home no matter what I did with it on the phone.

I want to delete it off the phone and the PC whenever I want it to disappear from one or both areas.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

And why don't you just erase the mail once when you are truly done with it (after reading it on your pc, for example) and not when you still want it

Say you're on the road and read an email on your phone, but still want to deal with it when back at your computer: THEN DO NOT DELETE IT.

If what you want is for that particular mail to still stand out from the rest of your mail when you are back at your desk: on the phone, instead of deleting it, mark it as "unread", or flag it. A simple partial swipe on your phone will do the trick.

Does this make any sense to you? We are both not native English speakers, so it might be a little hard.

6. LearningIt thread starter macrumors newbie

cdcastillo: Thank you for your replies. Let me give you two scenario examples so you can see the problem.

SCENARIO ONE:

Email comes to the phone. I read it at the grocery store. I just want it to sit there until I get to the restaurant in twenty minutes where I can reply to it.

Three minutes later after the phone got the email and I read it, Outlook downloads the email to the PC automatically when computer is left running at home.

Soon as Outlook downloads it, the email on the iPhone disappears. I get to restaurant, no email on phone.

SCENARIO TWO:

I see email come into PC, read it, but cannot reply because I need to leave home to meet friend at Starbucks for coffee. I get to Starbucks, friend running late so I decide to reply to that email I saw at home. Email is not on phone. Go home, and email is there still on PC.

So...just want emails to go to both phone and PC and not disappear until I decide to delete it from both places. I just don't know how to set that up like it was on the old phone.

Thanks!

7. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Then the computer is not set as IMAP. A true IMAP server does not do what you are describing. The problem seems to emanate from your computer. Outlook should not do this (delete emails from your phone). This sounds as if your pic is set to POP and not IMAP. Change the settings in the PC

8. LearningIt thread starter macrumors newbie

I just spent two more hours on this and the problems still exist. I deleted the POP account on Outlook/PC, and recreated it as a IMAP account in Outlook on the PC.

When I now try to delete the email that comes into Outlook, it fades and just draws a line through it instead of removing it out of the Inbox totally. When I delete an email on the iPhone, it completely deletes the email on the iPhone as well as in the Outlook on the PC.

What am I setting up wrong? I think going to IMAP on the PC made it worse? Can you tell me what setting I have screwed up...and if it's on the iPhone or the PC? Thanks!!!

9. LearningIt thread starter macrumors newbie

Now when deleting from one location, it automatically and instantly deletes from the other location. So if I delete from Outlook, it deletes from iPhone.

What am I missing here to allow the PC and iPhone to delete emails but not affect the other device?

10. cdcastillo, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

So now it is working as IMAP is intended. Now you can flag and mark as unread on your phone and "deal with it when you return home".

There is no way I know of to have email delivered BOTH to your PC and phone without also having it deleted in both places when you delete it from one.

This is where you apply what I wrote you first: DO NOT delete an email until you are done with it. If you want to check it later, just flag it or mark as unread after you read it on your phone. I repeat: mark as unread and flag are just a swipe away.

11. LearningIt thread starter macrumors newbie