Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterbassie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
i have an issue with shared computers.

I have a computer (my laptop) with 10.7.4, an imac with 10.5.8, two g5s with 10.6.8, and a 10.3.9 mac sharing internet with one of the 10.6.8s via ethernet.

On the laptop (10.7.4) i can see all the computers under shared in finder and connect via screen share. On the 10.5.8 i can only see one of the 10.6.8s (#1) and my laptop. On 10.6.8 (#1) i can see both the 10.5.8 and the laptop but not the other 10.6.8 (#2). On 10.6.8 (#2) i can only see the 10.5.8 and the laptop.

For simplifications sake i need to have the two 10.6.8s communicate with one another AND be able to see the computer 10.3.9 with the internet share via the second ethernet port.

I am assuming the issues with the 10.3.9 would be resolved when the two 10.6.8s can communicate (hopefully). Not sure if 10.3.9 can even work with screen share but if i could connect to the files that would be great.

seems like i have all the sharing options selected that are appropriate but i may have missed something or if anyone has any greater insight it would be much appreciated thank you.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
cmmd-k, enter IP address of computer, enter password of account. Finder is finicky.

masterbassie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
firstly thank you for the reply - i had tried that exact process (command+k) previously to no avail. i've had both of the 10.6.8s look for one another but they cant see each other.

the strange thing as stated above on all my other computers i can see both of the 10.6.8s but they cant see each other.

it seems like either some OS issue or my router (att uverse 2wire) or my moca setup or idk? its a little baffling - any other suggestions? thanks in advance

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
So you can't ping them either? I assume you have file sharing enabled. Did you try to ssh into each box from one another?

masterbassie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
no i wasn't able to ping them as a result i looked more into my physical network. i'm using moca (internet over coax) and perhaps a couple too many splitters. so i'm going to up it to 3 way or 4 way splitter higher freq etc.

once i get the splitter i will update the post with its success or not...

i however still seem to have a problem with my computer with 10.3.9 which is connected to one of my 10.5.8s through internet share. i cant see it on my network. i can see it on the 10.5.8 but none of the other computers can see it. the g5 gives the internet share the ip of 192.168.2.2. whenever i set a manual ip it no longer connects to the network.

i've tried connecting to 192.168.2.2 directly to no avail. is it a product of my routers perhaps or that the g5 to allow it to be shared with the rest of the network? thanks for you help to all these issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.