Having non-Watch Workouts Reflected in Activity App?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PatrickNSF, Nov 10, 2015.

1. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Is there a way to have non-Watch workouts reflected in the Activity app on the iPhone (and, corresponding, the Watch app)? I use a Garmin one a day for running (since I find the Watch inadequate for this activity) and store that data in the Garmin and Nike+ apps. I'd like to have that data reflected in the Activity app.

If I manually enter the workout in the Health app on the iPhone, it saves that data there but it's not incorporated into the Activity app. I'd specifically like it reflected in the Move and Exercise rings.

Thanks for the help.

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I have the same problem, and I have not figured it out yet either.

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It will only be included if/when the application developer adds the ability to their app. Apple has opened this to developers and some have taken advantage but Garmin is not one of them so far as I am aware.

4. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thanks. Do you know which ones do? I realize Garmin hasn't done it (yet?), but I assumed that if I entered a manual workout through the Heath app that it would get incorporated into the Activity app and it's data.

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is a little bit different from the OP request... The problem statement is that no one knows a way to get an external activity to post to the activity app on the watch. I have not read anything to indicate that is technically possible.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The Health app is a collector. The Activity app feeds into Health but not the other way around. The watch feeds the Activity app. Which ones feed into Activity....errr, thats a good question. I still use the stock app but I seem to recall reading about a few that will. Runtastic maybe or Runkeeper? I will look to see what I can dig up.

Here is a quote from the Apple site:
    Have a favorite workout app? Keep using it.
    We’ve given developers access to the innovative technology of Apple Watch, so you can continue using the workout apps you already know and love. And get credit toward completing your Activity rings when you do.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I have used RunGap to import into the Activity app from Garmin. You just need a TCX or GPX file.

Here is a run from my Garmin 620 watch.

[​IMG]

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

But the OP also wants the activity on the AW-- this only gets half of the solution. We need a way to get activities to move down from the phone to the watch.

9. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thanks. I refer trying this before and not being able to get it to work (prior to WatchOS 2). I'l give it another try now.

Oh, and great pace!

10. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I used RunGap to import today's run into the Health app as workout. How do I get that to show up in the activity app?

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It has been a few months since I did it and can't remember. I believe I just allowed RunGap to write all data to Health.

12. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thanks. That's what I did, but it's not showing up in the Activity app :-/

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Activity written to Health will not show in Activity App, as you have seen. The info moves from Activity to Health only. I sometimes wish it would move the other way because I have had a few times when I was messing with my watch, re-paired and lost data for workouts. No matter what, the data can not be added again manually that I could find.

So far, its looking like we are going to need to wait a while longer for any progress on this. Apps do now have more access than before and apps can run without the phone but there are almost none that do take advantage of this and none that I can find so far that will add data to the Activity app.