Having problem on upgrading from 10.4 - 10.5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by leowzx, Sep 22, 2013.

1. leowzx macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I hope I can get some help here. After reading so many tutorials/guides on how to install leopard using a USB Flash Drive on my G5, I still could not install the leopard OS X .dmg file. I have downloaded the leopard .dmg file and then flash it using Disk Utilities to my Flash Drive which I changed my format of my flashdrive to NTFS because the .dmg file is 7GB which FTS32 only support up to 4GB. But soon after i restore the .dmg file to my flash drive, I went to system preferences - startup disk to find the CD installer to boot up from my Flash Drive but I couldn't find it. I suspected that the G5 only can boot up from FTS32 flashdrive. Any solutions?

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

You should use Apple's HFS and be sure that the stick is partitioned with Apple Partition Map.

3. leowzx thread starter macrumors newbie

hello ,
    thanks for trying to help but my thumbdrive does not have HFS and i am sure i partitioned with Apple Partition Map. :(

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

What you mean it does not have HFS? You can partition your thumbdrive as HFS by using Disk Utility.

5. leowzx thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea how to do that, could you care to give me more details? Thanks

6. garirry macrumors 65832

garirry

1.Plug in your thumb drive
    2.Open disk utility
    3.Select your thumb drive
    4.Go to "partition" tab
    5.Select "1 partition"
    6.Select the format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
    7.Click "options"
    8.Select "Apple Partition Map" and click OK
    9.Click "Apply" (! All data will be erased !)
    10.Go to "restore" tab
    11.Click on "Image" and select your Leopard file
    12.Drag your thumb drive icon into the "Destination" box
    13.Click "Restore", confirm and enter your password.
    Then try restarting your G5 while holding the "option" key. If after a few seconds your USB shows up, then you did this correctly.

Hope this helps.

7. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

It won't work without having tons of fun in firmware!

Or you can add a HDD partition and restore the DMG to it, and have it working great!

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

That's not true. You can hold the option key at boot.

9. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

You are totally mistaken. USB drives do not boo via alt with apple OpenFirmware.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes they do. Just plug in a APM formatted drive with a bootable OS install, press option at boot, then select the drive. You can even choose it from OS X's Startup Disk pref pane.

11. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

It didn't work for me when I made a USB of 10.5.
    I finally put my G5 into target disk, connected it to my PB, cloned the USB drive to a partition of the HDD in the G5, and it worked fine.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Step 1: Go get a legitimate OS X Leopard install disc. They are available for less than $20 online if you hunt.

Step 2: Boot from that DVD. It will work fine in any supported Mac.

13. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I could be wrong but i believe that only the later Dual core PowerPcs are able to boot from a USB without openfirmware tweaking.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Many things don't work for you. I'll have to add this to the list.

Every USB 1.1 PowerPC Mac can boot from USB without messing around in OpenFirmware.

15. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

The number of times you've had to say that over the years is slightly ridiculous.

16. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I just did a test just to make sure I wasn't crazy. I formatted and restored a USB flashdrive from an original leopard install disk. Then restarted, held in alt-option and no dice. You cant boot from usb with older g5s OTB without messing with openfirmware.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Two of my G5's can, a June 2004 and a late 2005.

18. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

well I don't know what to tell you my Powermac7,3: June 04 can not boot from usb. I just tested it twice. usb doesn't show up with option on boot nore does anything show up in startup disk.

19. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

My little PowerBook can (and just did) no hassle.

20. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

have you guys that get it to work on older systems ever had to go into openfirmware? because after you do it once it stores the ability to get it to load.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've never had to go into OpenFirmware on any of my PowerPC Macs when booting from a USB drive. Just plug it in and select it.

22. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I don't know what to say then. I have never been able to boot a usb from my g5 OTB. Many other people seem to have this same issue concidering if you do a google search of "boot a g5 from USB" 90% of results have a tutorial on how to use openfirmware. The fact that 3 people: the op, rabidz7 and I cant just boot from usb holding option at power on also means that it doesnt always just work.
    My point is just saying "it works" doesn't always mean that's true and if its not always true then coming up with a better solution to the OP's problem is probably a better idea then a back and forth of it "does-it doesn't"