having problem with ext dvd burner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I have this pioneer tray loading ext dvd burner that I've been using fine for the past year and a half with my macbook, but then I started getting 'usb device drawing too much power.will disconnect' messages. This device has its own power supply.

Sometimes the problem would be intermittent and I'd be able to burn a few dvd's before it acted up. Now whenever I'd try to burn it just basically errors on me and disconnects the device.

The dealer told me it could be the power supply or something with the enclosures controller or whatever. So, I got a new cheap enclosure and I got the same problem. I just tried another better one and it happened again.

I underdstand it could be the macbooks usb port/logic board or something but the thing that gets me is that I have no problems with any other usb hard drives actively working on the usb ports.

I've done tech tool deluxe hardware diagnostics and it all passes.

The only thing I can think of is that the actual pioneer burner itself is bad...but I have no way of knowing short of throwing more money for another one just to find out.

but I have no idea why my computer is fine with the other usb devices but craps out with the burner. Is there anything reason wgy this is?

I'm totally at a loss. Obviously I don't want it to be that my macbook is at fault! ;) Help!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sounds like you've eliminated everything but the burner. If your macbook is working fine with other USB devices, especially powered ones, you can scratch off the MB as the problem. Can you try the burner out on another machine?

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks...thats good to hear.

Unfortunately no, all the other macs I have are over 10 years old already.

If it is the burner, then apparently I now own 3 IDE 5.25 enclosures that work fine! <lol>

Any other opinions?