Having problems connecting Apple tv to tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wd40budge, May 18, 2016.

1. wd40budge macrumors newbie

This is all I get when I connect Apple tv to tv. Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread, new to all this. Hope picture loaded

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Nope, it didn't load...

Just in case, your Apple TV should only connect to a HDMI input port. Make sure it's not an output port. If it doesn't show, then move it to another port. You could also try connecting a different device to the HDMI port not working just to make sure that's the problem.
    If you use HDMI splitters, amplifiers between the TV and your Apple TV, these need to be compatible.

3. wd40budge thread starter macrumors newbie

apple tv.jpg
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2016 ---
    I've had it working before but then got virgin so disconnected it. now trying to hook it up to the tv in the kitchen

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I don't think there's a problem connecting to your TV, it appears there is some kind of software issue. See this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203028

If your Apple TV displays a screen that shows the Apple TV and a cable running toward the iTunes icon, restore your Apple TV with iTunes.

Here's what you need
    • A computer with iTunes
    • A high-speed Internet connection
    • A USB-C cable for Apple TV (4th generation) or a Micro-USB cable for Apple TV (3rd generation or earlier)

5. wd40budge thread starter macrumors newbie

ah I get what your saying. I'll try that once I get home from work tonight. Thanks for your help

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Yes, that image is telling you two things:
    1) You got it connected to your TV properly (otherwise you wouldn't be seeing that image)
    2) You need to connect your Apple TV to iTunes.

The links provided above should help you solve this issue; otherwise, let us know.

7. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

It needs to be restored. Just connect it to iTunes with a Micro-USB cable and hit restore when it pops up. It should only take about 5 minutes if you have a pretty fast internet connection.