Having problems with iphone 3g. Very slow!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by italeki, Mar 12, 2011.

1. italeki macrumors regular

I recently purchased a used jailbroken/unlocked 3g iphone with cydia on it. The phone is "very slow" and sometimes "freezes" i have tried to contact the seller for questions, with not responses. I guess he bailed out after receiving the money. I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how to tweak the settings to make my phone faster?

Which are the mandatory cydia apps and which ones can i delete to increase memory for faster performance?

P.s. The version is 4.0.1 (8a306). Modem firmware 05.13.04

is there a recent overall update out there without me messing with the jailbreak? Thanks a lot guys!!!

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

4.anything on a 3G does not work well, but especially 4.0 and 4.0.1. The firmware was not written for the 3G's processor architecture.

Your absolute 100% best bet would be to roll the phones OS back to 3.1.3, which is the last good firmware for the 3G. Then, just go to www.jailbreakme.com from the browser on the iPhone to rejailbreak. Open Cydia and it'll recognize your phones ID and let you reinstall all the apps you have on there now.

3. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for response but...

I'm afraid in doing that I will lose my Simple Mobile phone service and not able to get it back if I have a problem resetting to 3.1.3. Where can I go online that will specifically show my how to revert back to 3.1.3? You're a sport!!!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

Heres the easy way to do it:

Download 3.1.3 for 3G from here:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
    Save it to your desktop

Connect phone and open itunes. Click on your iphone, hold shift(option for mac) and click on Restore. A box will open asking you to select a firmware. Select 3.1.3. The phone will now restore.

Youll probably get an error at the end. Use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode. Just open TU and click your phone and click Exit Recovery.

TU: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Now resync all your stuff back.

Go to www.jailbreakme.com to jailbreak, then after you get Cydia installed grab Ultrasn0w.

Good to go.

6. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!!!!!

Now my iPhone 3G works like a charm! I appreciate it guys!!!

7. TheRealMsU macrumors newbie

I need your help!!!

I have an iPhone 3G that I just downgraded from iOS 4.2.1. to 3.1.3., then used JailbreakMe via the Safari browser on my iPhone to jailbreak it. The problem I'm having is when I connect to iTunes 10.2.2., it prompts me to "restore," but when I click on that, I get the following error:

I previously had a jailbroken 4.2.1. iOS, but my 3G was tooooo sllooowww and apps crashed all the time, so right now I'm stuck where I am but need help.

Can anyone please advise how to get around this iTunes error? There is no error number, just the message above.

PLEASE someone help! I've been trying to get all this done for over a week now, and have downgraded/jailbroken my iPhone several times, but always give up at this point and let it restore and re-update back to 4.2.1 so I can get all my settings back. HELP! :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    MsU

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can't restore a 4.2.1 backup on a 3.1.3 iPhone. It's just the way it works. :eek:

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You can't expect to have after sales service when you bought it second hand.

10. TheRealMsU macrumors newbie

Thanks

... I was afraid of such. I appreciate your response.

MsU

11. Asmy macrumors newbie

Before this i runned ios 4.2.1 on my jailbroken iphone 3G and its totally sucks full of laggy. Then i downgraded to 4.1 and its much better i mean less laggy prob than the 4.2.1 but there still a laggy prob and i just can't take it. Is the unjailbraking the best solution? How to unjailbrake? Anyone? help me! What if i downgrade to 4.0? Does anyone has the answer? And how to downgrade? That day when i downgraded my ios i sent my iphone to the local store
    *sorry for my broken english

12. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

It's not the jailbreak that's making it laggy. Every iPhone 3G on 4.2.1 is laggy unless you remove half of the springboard options and launchdaemons. You're better off going back down to 3.1.3.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...00202.pbnrt/iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

Hold Shift on Windows & Option key on Mac when you click Restore to choose the 3.1.3 firmware. You can then jailbreak with Spirit if you have the AT&T SIM card or use redsn0w 0.9.4 and 3.1.2 firmware at the Browse option if you don't have the SIM card.

13. scubagirl65 macrumors newbie

Same but different problem

I have a iphone 3G which I jailbroke when I moved to Mx from Canada.
    Version 4.1 and Modem Firmware is 6.15

I want to restore my phone now back to original o/s before jailbreaking it. My contract is now up in Canada and I want to unlock it from the carrier. besides it runs super slow. I now have a iphone 5 unlocked and I thought I might sell it or at least use it as a second phone or glorified ipod :)

I was told if I hit restore it will brick my phone.
    If someone can point me in the right direction with step by step instructions I would very much appreciate it.