Having problems with my 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melodeath, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

A few days ago, I told my 15" i7 MBP to turn off from the apple menu. It didn't shut down properly, and this message popped up telling me to hold down the power button until the computer turned off. I thought this was weird, but didn't think too much of it.

Then, a couple days later, on the mac, I accidentally forgot to eject an external hard drive (NTFS) before turning off the firewire device it was daisy-chained to from the mac, which erased the partition table, leaving the drive unreadable on both OSX and Windows.

Then today, I was in Safari, and I noticed that when I open a new tab, all of the small windows that show my top sites have completely garbled graphics. This is annoying but I didn't restart Safari. Well, eventually, I open a new tab and page, and the entire page has garbled graphics. Then the computer completely freezes and I get the same message saying "You need to turn off your computer by holding the power button..."

Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

I'm currently doing data recovery on my external hard drive, and maybe these issues are all unrelated, but has anyone seen garbled graphics in Safari like this? The only thing I can think of is I had gfxCardStatus running and locked on Intel graphics

What the heck is going on?

2. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I have the exact same Safari problem. There is another thread on the issue here (with some screenshots from my MBP):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=962712

Some members have suggested that it is a software issue related to graphics switching, but I am not 100% certain.

I was at the Apple store a couple weeks ago for a problem with my iPhone, and I showed the screenshots from my computer to a genius who tole me I should probably bring my MBP into the store (he was an iPhone guy though and not an expert on the MBP).

I have not experienced the other issues you are having, so they maybe unrelated.

I will probably bring my MBP into the Apple store soon. I am in the process of buying and setting up NAS for my home network, so I doubt I'll bring it in before all of that is done, and I have my MBP safely backed-up.

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. If you take it in, let me know what they say.

Two other issues with my MBP, probably/possibly unrelated:

Sometimes I notice that the lower brightness button (F1) takes two presses to get the bar to decrease by one.

I got a single drop of water on my trackpad. I immediately wiped it off with a kleenex (closest thing I had). For a full minute after cleaning it up, my trackpad was incredibly choppy and non-responsive. The mouse would not follow my fingers naturally, but followed them as if with a refresh rate of once every two seconds.
    Maybe cleaning the trackpad off somehow de-calibrated the trackpad temporarily? Everything seems to be back to normal now, but it was worrisome...

I'm just so fed up with having computer issues!