Having problems with my G5....Help please

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bwallace418, Mar 29, 2010.

1. bwallace418 macrumors newbie

I have had my Power Mac for 4 years now. This is the first problem I have ever had with it. Not sure where to go for help... First of all my computer froze. Nothing was responding. Had to literally pull plug. Have done this before with no problem. At next startup, everything was going extemely slow. It took forever to get to the login screen. When i did get there and login, again it took forever to do something. Eventually it takes me back to login screen and I can go no further. I have done an AHT and it gave me the Error...... 2STF/8/3:A... under the MASS STORAGE section. Didnt go any further. I did a disk utility repair and that didnt work. I have alot of personal stuff on my computar and dont want to lose it. Is there anyone who can help me.... Thank you in advance

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure this error code indicates a problem with the upper hard drive. I suggest that you boot from a different drive, back up the boot drive as much as possible, and replace the boot drive.

3. bwallace418 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank u

How do I boot from another drive? and backup and so on..... Im sorry Im not a techie. Please bear with me.

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well first of all, how many drives do you have in your system? Just one with everything on it, or a main boot drive and then a secondary with most of your personal stuff on it?

Either way, it sounds like your main boot drive is dying. Here is what I would do in your position.

1.) Purchase a new hard drive, or acquire another known good one.
    2.) Pull out the current bad drive
    3.) Install the new good drive in its place
    4.) Install a fresh copy of OSX on the new drive using your restore/OSX CD's
    5.) At this point, hook up your bad drive as a secondary/slave drive, boot up from your good drive, and see if OSX can read from the bad drive. If it can, quickly copy all your important files over to the new drive. If you can't access the bad drive, then all your files may be gone. There are other things to try at this point, but first I suggest you get to this point.