Having problems with my iMac, help?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jaycabrera, Sep 19, 2010.

1. jaycabrera macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been posted and answered before but I have 2 concerns that have to do with my iMac.

First one: My built in speakers aren't working. I'm guessing it has something to do with the speakers jack because there is a red ring around it. I tried googling how to fix it but nothing seems to work.

Second I'm running OS version 10.4 Tiger and I can't seem to find OS 10.5 anywhere to upgrade. I know that Snow Leopard 10.6 is available, could I just install that skipping 10.5?

I kind of just want answers here before I actually have to go and wait in the endless line at the apple store. All your help is appreciated! :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. What steps exactly have you tried?

2. You can just use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD for your purpose, no need for Mac OS X 10.5

3. jaycabrera thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I have tried going into my system preferences/sound/output but it says there are not controls available. I have have put in a small pin inside the jack and wiggled it gently to see if that would help. There really wasn't anything else I could find that was helpful.

2. Awesome thanks so much!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Try using a 3.5mm headphone or RCA cable, it helped me, but I had to do it more than once on the same occasion to actually get it working. Just plug it in and pull it out again and again until the red light goes out. If that does not work after the 42nd time, maybe get an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar or any other Apple Authorised Retailer that offers repairs.

5. jaycabrera thread starter macrumors newbie