Having problems with PowerBook after reformatting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djearlybird, Mar 18, 2008.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

Today I reformatted my 15” PowerBook G4 (1.5ghz) and put a copy of Tiger(10.4) on it.
    I am having 2 problems now.

Problem #1…Software Update

I first went to Software Update and wanted to bring my 10.4 up to 10.4.11. It found several updates, as you can see in the picture attached. It ran through the updates, but when it would try to install the download, I would get this error (pic)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/ChiLLot/Picture1-1.png

Now after some research, Apple’s site said I should deselect all of the updates except the combo update, and then I should be fine. That is not the case, software update will not work. I downloaded just the file from Apple, and I still get the same error.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303134

Problem #2…Wireless Network

When I selesct my wireless network from the Airport pulldown, it asks me for my WPA password. After I type in the password, I get this error.

The wireless network "XXXXXXX" does not support the requested encryption method.

Google was no help, been looking for a simple answers to these guys. If anyone can help out, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks! :apple:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try downloading the combo update from here and installing, then try and download the other updates from Software Update. you will probably have some more after 10.4.11.

try unplugging and rebooting your router and then running Internet Diagnostics from Network in System Preferences. it will tell you were the connection is going wrong.

3. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but thats for an Intel computer. Mine in the Power PC, and I tried that one already :(

The network thing has me stumped because my kids 2 ibooks are working just fine on the my network. :confused:

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OOPS! :eek::eek: sorry my bad!

what does Network Diagnostics say? where does the light become red?