Having Problems with XP pro ( soory Windows)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Fishtalk, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Sorry about this but it's a “Windows” question….I usually work on Mac and you guys seem a lot more serious…Cant seem to get a straight answer from the Windows forums
    Have just received a Dell D630 with XP Pro installed… Problem is that the OS is in Dutch. I’ve tried clicking all over the place as suggested by Windows forums…BUT is stays in Dutch…. the only Disc I have is the ‘green’ Dell XP Pro Service Pack 2… as all the stuff written on the Disc itself is in French I assume it’s a French SP2 Which is fine ‘cos I speak French. The Question is if I upgrade ( supposedly easier) or re-install ( complicated) from this disc will I have the opportunity to change the OS language to French.
    Why is all this Window’s stuff SO f******* complicated. Long live MAC
    I know I could install Mac on this machine…But its only a lone for a couple of months and I don’t have any Mac install disc’s kicking around.
    Thanks in advance for any info

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you post a screenshot of the "Regional and Language Settings" in Control Panel?

Basically you should want to do this: but with French. http://frontype.com/how-to-add-language/Dutch.html

IMHO this is one area where Vista and 7 have improved significantly over XP, almost to the point of being as friendly as OS X.

B

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Love to post a screen shot.... but as its all in dutch I haven''t been able to work out how to configure my adsl conextion.
    As far as changing the language... i've tried all the above stuff and its just reboots back to Dutch Which I suppose the original OS was installed in.
    Knowing Microsoft one has to pay for each language.... But if you have any idea's about the XP Pro service disc 2 CD ?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're online somehow now. Can you save screenshots to disk and transfer to USB to your connected machine.

It's just really hard to help without being able to see what you see, particularly when you also have language barriers mixed in.

EDIT: I had an OS image that I used for a bunch of machines that somehow ended up with a French (Swiss) default locale, even though they were in the US and most of the programs were still showing up in English. I was able to work around that, but it may have helped that I understand French well.

B

5. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know what you mean..... For the moment I'm using my good old Mac pismo runnning Panther ( would you belive)

My problem is that I. Ive never used window's 2. All the screen controls are in Dutch and 3. i've been on this problem for 2 days now..... Rather like trying to program a computer with your eyes shut and one hand tied behind your back... it sucks, But thanks anyway

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Since you say it's a loaner for a few months, and it seems like you are potentially willing to reinstall, you could also just look at running Windows 7 on it. You can get a 120 day trial (30 days renewable 3 times), and save yourself the headaches of dealing with a last century OS.

With W7 and Vista Ultimate at least you can even have different users use different languages.

B

7. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah could be a good solution..... I just have to work out how to connect the Dell to the Net !!!!!!!!