Having problems with your new iMac being slow. LOOK HERE

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sam3020, Oct 29, 2009.

1. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Hello,

I have the new 27" iMac and what a lot of people are finding is that when you first start up the computer it is fine but then the more things you do it just gets slower and slower and then you have to reboot and it works fine. Here is how you can fix the problem. I found this on another website.

PRAM & SMC resets
    1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
    2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
    3. Wait at least 15 seconds.
    4. Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time.
    5. Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
    Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.

Let me know if it works for you :). It worked for me

2. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

They are both wireless?? (unless you specifically ordered the wired keyboard)

3. sam3020 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sam3020

it does not matter if there wireless. Mine are wireless and works fine. Sorry i just copied off the other website i was on

4. GadgetAddicted macrumors regular

Op, you are having no slow down issues whatsoever with this method now???/

5. sam3020 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sam3020

no my slow down issues have completely gone. I was actually quite surprised that it worked myself but it really does. I do recommend you try it. I tried running all the programs together that made my computer really slow and it works absolutely fine now

6. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

did you watch a flash video or used another flash program in safari?

7. frosse macrumors 6502a

Someone on the Apple boards suggested it has to do with Airport wifi. Is anyone here having difficulties with ethernet connectivity?

Try turning off airport and see if the CPU % goes down...

8. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

I gave up, thanks for the tips but I will wait for the official update

9. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

10. soft macrumors newbie

Made a successful reset ( the volume and brightness settings was reset ).

A few hours later... everything is laggy again.. so it did NOT work with this reset.

11. stever500 macrumors regular

Glad I'm not one you guys.:eek: My machine is MUCHO fast ALL the freakin' time. Yahooooooooooooooo! I will save this thread just in case I go into the slow zone.

Later alligators. Meet ya on the flip side because I'm reet ,petite, and I'm gone...

12. mbryan822 macrumors newbie

Thanks OP - fixed it

My new 27" iMac with i7 chip has been slow in almost every single way possible. WTF???

Found your post to clear the PRAM and NVRAM and wow what a difference!

What a great Thanksgiving gift!
    Thank you Thank you Thank you

13. arapheon macrumors newbie

Wow

This absolutely, positively worked for me. I'm a bit frustrated that I had to resort to a Internet thread in order to make my new Mac work properly, but at least it's fixed.