Having Problems Zipping a .mov

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NatashaOne, May 5, 2010.

1. NatashaOne macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm attempting to create a zipped file of a .mov using an imac and having problems.

In actuality, there are two .mov files that I'm trying to zip. Both files are approximately 64GB. I'm puzzled because I thought I had archived or zipped the files so I then checked their size, which was zero KB. I put both zipped files in the trash and emptied it. An hour and a half later the second file that I tried to zip showed as being in the archiving process (blue progress line showing) and, after 1 hour, the zipped file was successfully created. I had given up on creating the zipped file and this archiving process seemed to start on it's own after the long 1 and 1/2 hour delay.

It's also puzzling that the second file (which is smaller in size than file#1) showed up and successfully archived/zipped, rather than the first.

I'm now still attempting to zip the first 64GB file, but don't seem to be having any success.

[Are there any kind folks who have suggestions or advice to offer on how to zip a 64GB file using an imac?

I'm not sure whether what I'm attempting to do is beyond the power of this computer, but what should be a one step process isn't succeeding.

Thank-you so much,
    Natasha

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yellow is hard to read. The colour can stay in black.

Just select the sentence and CMD+X and delete all the tags and CMD+V and leave it at that.

Normally it should look like this with tags

[COLOR="Red"]Are there any kind folks who have suggestions or advice to offer on how to zip a 64GB file using an imac?[/COLOR]

to look like this in the post

Are there any kind folks who have suggestions or advice to offer on how to zip a 64GB file using an imac?

What process have you tried to accomplish the zipping? Have you used Mac OS X' built-in compress function? Or something else?

Btw, can you post details about the .mov file and what codec it does use? You can find out via the movie inspector in QuickTime.
    [​IMG]
    You can take a screenshot via CMD+SHIFT+4 and then pressing the SPACEBAR and then selecting that window via mouse and attach that .png file, which is now stored on your Desktop to your next post via the Additional Options > Manage Attachments option below the text entry field.

If the codec is highly compressive like H264, you will only gain a 1GB saved space if anything at all.

Why do you want to zip the file in the first place?

3. NatashaOne thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to zip the file to fit it onto a DVD.

I have used the built in archiving function on my imac.

As far as I understand, I don't want to compress the movie, because I don't want to reduce it's quality. This is the reason I'm zipping it.

According to Apple Inspector:

Format: Apple Intermediate Codec, 1440 x 1080
    (1888 x 1062), Millions
    16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo,
    48.000 kHz

FPS: 29.97

Data Size: 69.81 GB (apparently it's a bit larger than 64GB)

Data Rate: 85.54 mbits/s

4. natlinxz macrumors newbie

If your file is 64 gigabytes, no compression program in the world will make that file small enough to fit on a DVD. Mov files don't compress well at all, this is true of all video files. The only way to make a video file smaller is to change the compression and quality. Apple Video codec is a great compressor if you want to make your file small, but H264 is better if you want quality. Programs like iMovie and MPEG Streamclip will allow you to lower the quality on the video, which really helps get the size down. Your best bet is to get a portable USB hard drive, that way you can get storage of over 500GB.

I don't mean to be rude, but what you are trying to do is impossible. You want a 64Gig video file compressed down to under 8GB without any loss in quality? You're going to have to lose A LOT of quality if you want that kind of compression.

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

You're going to have to covert that AIC file into something more manageable like a H264 file for size sake. the compression might take all night.

When you say "fit it onto a DVD" do you mean so that it plays on a DVD or so that it is a DATA file on a DVD?

6. chown33 macrumors 604

7. skunkworker macrumors regular

Why don't you compress the video using Handbrake or another good converter? Don't use iMovie though. You will lose a little quality but overall the video will still look good if you set the bitrate around 9 mbit/s or so (play around with it to get a good size on the DVD). Can you really tell a difference if its 85 or 8.5 mbit/s? if the encoder is good then its not going to be easy.