Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmmaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Hi there.
Quick question:

I've used my Late 2013 rMBP as my only personal computer, though I'd like to use both an iMac and a MBP seamlessly.
Regarding files, I do not have an issue as I have a windows server (and could run Mac Server on the iMac for instance). I could also get bigger iCloud/cloud space.
I would like to have a seamless experience on both Mac computers, meaning, having the exact same files, apps, as if it were one computer.
How can one achieve this?

Regards,

cmmaia

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Forget trying to make one Mac "exactly like" another Mac.
Just let each Mac "be its own Mac".
You can get things "close", but "the same"?
Probably not.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
iCloud is the easy answer for this. All the iCloud files are the same on each Mac and iOS device you own. All the file updates are shared. You can start editing a file on one Mac, save the changes, then open the same file on the other Mac.

You can get close to the same experience with network attached storage but you would still have the hassle of connecting to the network drive, plus files stored this way are not available outside your home network (unless you're willing to risk opening a port on your router).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.