Having Second Thought on purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frocco, Apr 26, 2010.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

I just purcased a 27" i7 iMac, and thought I wanted a 17" MBP i7.

The sales person showed me the bearfeats GPU tests and the imac blew away the mbp.

I had them install an addition 4 mg and am waiting to power it up in case I change my mind and got for the mbp.

I told him I was concerned about screen issues and HD noise on the imac and he said that that was resolved and not to worry, because apple would stand behind it.

I originally planned on an HP system 210y for 889.00 at Best Buy, and ended up spending about 1000.00 more on this imac.

SO I am trying to decide on getting the latest mbp or sticking with the imac.

I do some gaming, but not too much and have some windows apps that I need to run.

Any advise? Would be appreciated.

Frank

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well you have to ask yourself if you want to be portable or not. The 17" MBP can be used as a desktop replacement. You can find a nice 27" display if you wish and use that. I like that idea myself when I am considering buying what would be my only computer.

To me it is hard to tell what you need.

3. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

I guess it is a power thing.
    Imac = more power, large screen.
    mbp = portability.

I had an imac 27" before and returned it due to issues.

Thanks

4. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You are complaining about price, yet wanted a MBP. You make no sense! iMacs are more computer for the money than MBP.

Unless you want portability, MBP has NO advantage over iMac.

6. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I don't understand being swayed by GPU tests to the point where you actually forget what you want/need a computer for. Is this a guy thing? :rolleyes:

You bought a computer based on some benchmarks that may or may not have anything to do with what you use a computer for on a day-to-day basis. It doesn't matter if the iMac "blows away" whatever if what you really want is something more portable, or if you have a ton of Windows applications you need to run.

Stop thinking about "power" and just think, "what do *I* do on my computer?" Because I suspect that any computer you get will be more than enough, based on the needs you've described. If you find you have to run Windows applications all the time, it seems to me like the HP is a better choice -- that's just me, though.