Having second thoughts? iPhone 6/iPad Air or iPhone 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iCore24, Sep 14, 2014.

1. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

I have an iPad Air, 15" Retina Macbook Pro, and soon a iPhone 6.

Now I haven't touched my iPad in a while. Usually Ill switch long periods of time over iPad or Laptop.

I looked at the iPhone 6 Plus and agreed 100% it is too big for a phone for me and the iPhone 6 looks better. So I bought the iPhone 6 64gb for T-Mobile from Apple.com.

Now I might be having buyers remorse? I just thought of an idea. What if I sell my iPad Air 32gb for around $450-$500, and just get the iPhone 6 Plus? So basically I'm asking if a iPhone 6 Plus can replace my iPad Air? The biggest thing I do on my iPad is go on Safari, read comics and books. I was able to do this on my iPhone 5s when I'm out sometimes but was kind of hard reading comics.

So the iPhone 6 Plus is too big for a phone, but it might not be for a tablet and phone...

Also I am using an iPhone 4 for like 2 weeks and get my iPhone 6 next friday. If I do change my mind, should I sell it on eBay? Or try to get exchange it for iPhone 6 Plus at Apple store? Would they give me one right away or do I have to wait 3-4 weeks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd not sell an iPad air to fund a purchase of the iPhone 6+. A larger phone has its place but I don't see it replacing the iPad Air.

3. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

No second thoughts here, I'm not an impulse buyer.

4. iCore24 thread starter macrumors 6502

iCore24

Thanks for your advice :rolleyes:

----------

Yea, I think I'm just thinking like that because I never used my iPad in a while since I started college again and been using my laptop for work/iPhone 6 research etc and not for leisure time.

5. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

The iPhone 6 and iPad Air seems like a great combination to have. I'd hang on to the iPad if I were you. You'll miss having it, I'd think. The 6 + is more of a big phone than a small tablet. It will seem tiny compared to the iPad Air.

6. Ayr macrumors 6502

For me, the novelty of the iPad wore off fast. Ended up collecting dust even though I love travelling and having eBooks and movies at my fingertips - just too large and heavy.

For me, unlike maflynn, I think phablets are the perfect replacement for guys like us who ended up not using our iPads. Regular phones are just too small for browsing and reading books for long periods of time.

In terms of size, only you can decide if the 6 or 6+ can be a replacement. For me it's the 6+, for my gf, she settled on the 6. (Both of us gave away our iPads).

7. Deguello macrumors 6502

If you don't use your iPad, does it really matter what phone you have? You're already not using your iPad.

8. munkydust macrumors member

Guess it is just personal preference. I rarely use my phone at home but we use our two iPads all the time at home. Wouldn't mind my iPad being another inch or so larger than it is.

I like my tablets big and my phones small as I use them for different things.

9. Cryates macrumors 65816

Rarely used my iPad because of the bigger size so I typically defaulted to my 5S, which was a little too small for all of the browsing that I do. So for
    me the 6+ will provide that happy medium and give me the Apple device I have always been hoping for.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

For me the iPhone 6 Plus takes the place of an iPad.

That's why I decided to buy the 6 Plus.

If in your shoes I would have sold the iPad and got the plus.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I currently own an iPad Air and Macbook Air. (had an iPhone 5s but sold when I preordered the iPhone 6).

I got the 6, rather than the 6+, because I'd rather have a smaller device to carry around with me all day. At home or when traveling, I'll use the iPad Air as a bigger, yet still manageable device. The Macbook Air is strictly for home use.

12. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I'm a 5s user and I have an iPad mini and an iPad 2. Both iPads sit around collecting dust most of the time. Any app I use both on my phone and my iPads is pretty much a convenience app, like banking, eBay, etc.., or a GPS. I'll occasionally play a game on my iPad, but not very often, maybe once or twice a year. I do use safari all the time on my iPhone when I'm out. When I'm home, my "device" of choice is my MBP, even for texting. I'd rather use a real keyboard to text than my phone. The only exception to that of course is when I receive texts from someone without an iPhone, and I think I only have 2 contacts like that at the moment.

I decided that I was going to get the 6+. I was on the fence between the 6 and the 6+ for a while, only because my husband inherits my old phone so I can can get the upgrade every year. I was afraid he wouldn't use a 6+, but when I asked him which he though I should get he immediately said the bigger one. For me, the larger screen is perfect for everything I do. After I bought it, I realized that it could easily serve as a replacement for my iPad mini,especially since I'm not really using it. It may also serve as a replacement for the iPad 2 since I'm not using that either. So the mini and the iPad 2 are now up for sale on eBay. After I get the 6+ and use it for awhile, I can reevaluate and buy a new iPad Air if I think it will fill a gap between my 6+ and MBP.

I'm not worried about getting used to the size of 6+ at all. I'm fairly certain I'm going to hate it when I first get it, but I'll get used to it quickly after that. My sister just switched from an iPhone 4s to a Galaxy S something or other. It was really huge, and I hated it and said no way I would use something that big, but then I started thinking about just what I use my phone for and I realized the extra screen size would be perfect for me.

13. iCore24 thread starter macrumors 6502

iCore24

All very good arguments and advice. I will start using my iPad more since Id have more free time and see if that spark is still their. Also to see even if I can stand the iPhone 6 Plus.

On my second question what would be the fastest way to get rid of my iPhone 6 and get a 6 Plus?

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Cancel your order, order a plus now. That's the fastest way.

15. Ayr macrumors 6502

You could probably trade on the forums here as someone will not be happy with their 6+ and want to go smaller.

16. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Keeping my iPad Air and ordered a 6 Plus. If I had an iPad Mini, it may be a different situation since the screen sizes are closer.

17. Jazper macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6 Plus was just too big for me, why not just sell your iPad if you don't use it much and just have the 4.7" and your laptop?

To be fair the 0.7" does make it quite a bit bigger than the 5/5s.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I don't think the OP is either. If he/she was, they won't be posting on here asking for advice and peoples opinions.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I just bought the 6+ because when its impractical to have my iPad around a 6+ can fill the void somewhat.

20. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Fastest way? Stand in line this Friday for a 6 Plus, simultaneously order one on the Apple store website. If you get one on Friday, then cancel the Apple store order. Meanwhile, when the 6 is delivered, send it back to Apple for a full refund. Problem solved.

I'm like you though - getting the 6P and doing away with the iPad altogether. Love my Air, but it doesn't get touched much anymore. In fact, I'm not really seeing the utility for tablets aside from a nice babysitting machine on road trips. Use my phone and MBA much more and prefer it that way. The 6P will be nice because everything will be so much bigger and easier to see. The only thing I might miss are iPad-specific apps. But not enough of those these days for me to care. Plus, I can just jump back on to my MBA if I need to do anything requiring a bigger screen. And the MBA is tons more capable than an iPad.

21. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I currently have an iPad mini, 13" macbook air, and a 5S.

I went with the 6 Plus and it very well may end up replacing my iPad mini also. I hardly use the iPad currently I do my heavier stuff on the macbook and use the phone for just about everything else. Occasionally read on the iPad and play some games, but thats about it.

22. iCore24 thread starter macrumors 6502

iCore24

If I had a iPad mini. 100% The 6 Plus would replace it.

23. pazz macrumors regular

I think its more about can you cope with such a big phone? For me atleast just the two handed use would frustrate me enough.

Do you need to constantly carry around an iPad?

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

For you, maybe. But for most people, I don't think so.

Attached Files:

25. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

This exactly describes my train of thought. I never used my iPad, I am either working on my MBP at home or working on my phone, which I have with me at all times. I like iPad as a gadget, there definitely are good uses for this device, but I've never found a good way to implement it in my personal workflow.

The only times I used it is because I felt obligated to use it since I spent almost 700€ on it. I always wanted an iPhone with a bigger screen to replace the iPad and have the best of both worlds so to speak.

When the iPhone 5 came out there were a lot of rumors about it having a bigger screen, but all we got was a stretch of the original display size which disappointed me a lot, so I kept the iPad around.

Now that there finally is a 5,5 inch phone I didn't hesitate for a second: I sold off my iPad and am now waiting for the pre-orders to start in my country (should be Sept 26). Time will tell if this is too big to be a phone, but I feel Apple has hit a sweet spot here.