Having second thoughts on iMac... HELP! :D

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Imidazole, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Imidazole macrumors regular

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

If you just want to play games, get the Dell.

If you want a computer to work with, that will let you get on with your work, without worrying about maintaining it/sifting through the copious amounts of freeware applications, and for casual gaming, get the iMac.

3. Jamiephofe macrumors member

My girlfriend has been using a Dell desktop for the last year with windows XP installed. We haven't had any problems, no freezes at all, and it has only required the usual minimal maintenance - disk defrag every week or two, and disk cleanup.

If you don't mind having a tower and don't need osx then you'd be crazy not to go with the Dell. If you find it impossible to run a few tools to keep your computer running smoothly, or you need osx or an all in one then get the iMac.

Dells are not just for gaming, however the iMac clearly is just for general use. In other words, the Dell can do everything the iMac can do (except for run osx) the iMac can't do everything the Dell can do. (except crash, blue screen, bad quality etc blah blah ... whatever)

It's very nice to go from a tower to an iMac though, so easy to setup and such a space saver.

4. Imidazole thread starter macrumors regular

Im concerned that WoW will run like trash on it.

I mean, thats what I really want it to do... Just play WoW good.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

seriously? (I just don't understand gamers :p)

if that's all you want out of it then sure, maybe a dell is more up your alley. I know people play WoW on their macs and haven't had problems though. Maybe search around in the games forum for some answers as well.

6. Jamiephofe macrumors member

Yeah hopefully the iMac can run WoW or it's fairly disgraceful :D

Then again I guess it depends on how much of a wow addict you are, you'll probably get some pretty bad frame rates with 40 other people on the screen.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I know, kids today;)

8. MikeT125 macrumors regular

I just went through that whole thing and came up with an equivalent model to the 2.4GHz 20" Imac for $1597....... I think I'll get the imac.

9. DerekS macrumors 6502

WoW plays superbly on all of my Macs, most of which are slower and less powerful than the new iMac you just bought. Have no fear! It will be fine.

10. jkaz macrumors 6502

i think you need to qualify your definition of superbly.

my definition of superbly would mean all video settings on highest and getting 30+ fps in all but the hairiest of situations