Having second thoughts on my new MBP13

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Long story short, I tried a MBP13 (2019) base model and fell in love on the price/performance ratio.

Decided to order a 2,4ghz/16gb/512gb proper 4-port MBP13 (2019). So far all good, but I'm reading so many things that make me wonder if I made the right choice.

Honestly, I'll probably NEVER use more than 8gb of ram, but I'm a sucker for future proofing a expensive computer.

512gb SSD? This I will actually need. Odds are I will need to run Bootcamp and I will install both lots of games and apps, in both MacOS and Windows.

4x vs 2x TB3 ports? I'll most likely be just fine on 2, I have a good multi adapter so that's fine.

Then the CPU... I'll probably get by just fine on even the 2019 MBA (I really LOVE the form factor), but the dual core really irks me. On the other hand, the base model pro seem like a good performer, but I read it does only have one fan vs the dual fan on 4 port MBP.

What to do? I'm don't really need any serious horse power as I have a AW PC for serious gaming and tasks, but a new Mac will be my daily driver. MBA 2019? MBP13 2019 base model? Or just be happy with my splurge 4 port version?

Any thoughts at all? Any suggestions?

The most demanding thing I'll ever run is basically Photoshop Elements and Monkey Island 1 Special Edition.

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
I decided to actually sit happy with my 4-port Mac. I also decided to order the iPad Pro 11 256gb 4g with the keyboard, the Apple Watch 5 4g, the Apple TV 4k 64gb and the iPhone 11 Pro 256gb.

Go big or go home! ;-p

EDIT: Oh, and a SteelSeries Nimbus, to play RayMan on the ATV.

Kinotto

macrumors member
May 7, 2018
I think the solution is to figure out what use you’ll make of it in the future and how long you plan to keep it (sounds easier than it is, I know).

1) If you’re not sure about what use you’ll make of it in a few years, or you don’t plan to upgrade for a few years (5-6 or more) keep the one you purchased: it has a good balance of specs and you’ll be sure you’ll never run into slowdowns. Also it’ll have good resell value, having 16GB ram and good amount of storage.

2) If you’re sure you’ll never take advantage of the hardware, or you upgrade laptop every 2-3 years, return it and get an Air: You’ll have the same great experience as the more expensive Pro, with the added benefit of less weight and possibly more battery life.
( and you’ll save quite a lot of money, which I suggest to invest in an AppleCare+).

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
I think the solution is to figure out what use you’ll make of it in the future and how long you plan to keep it (sounds easier than it is, I know).

1) If you’re not sure about what use you’ll make of it in a few years, or you don’t plan to upgrade for a few years 5-6 or more) keep the one you purchased: it has a good balance of specs and you’ll be sure you’ll never run into slowdowns. Also it’ll have good resell value, having 16GB ram and good amount of storage.

2) If you’re sure you’ll never take advantage of the hardware, or you upgrade laptop every 2-3 years, return it and get an Air: You’ll have the same great experience as the more expensive Pro, with the added benefit of less weight and possibly more battery life.
( and you’ll save quite a lot of money, which I suggest to invest in an AppleCare+).
Thanks alot! Money is not really an issue (how I love to say that ;-), but not because I'm rich (I'm not), but I know that it's worth so much more to have a reliable daily driver that I won't have to temper with (I'm looking at you Microsoft).

EDIT: The resell value is actually a really good point. 16gb/512gb will always be sought after in the aftermarket. :)

Kinotto

macrumors member
May 7, 2018
Thanks alot! Money is not really an issue (how I love to say that ;-), but not because I'm rich (I'm not), but I know that it's worth so much more to have a reliable daily driver that I won't have to temper with (I'm looking at you Microsoft).

EDIT: The resell value is actually a really good point. 16gb/512gb will always be sought after in the aftermarket. :)

If you can afford to, I’d say keep your purchase and enjoy it.
Again, with those specs and your usage scenario you’ll never run in any performance issue. Plus, should you ever want to use some beefier application, you know you’ll have the horses to drive it.

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
If you can afford to, I’d say keep your purchase and enjoy it.
Again, with those specs and your usage scenario you’ll never run in any performance issue. Plus, should you ever want to use some beefier application, you know you’ll have the horses to drive it.
Again, thanks alot mate!

cdames00

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
I was having a similar debate and ended up getting a 2018. This seemed to be a pretty great deal...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-13-display-with-touch-bar-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-silver/5998602.p?skuId=5998602

Long story short, I tried a MBP13 (2019) base model and fell in love on the price/performance ratio.

Decided to order a 2,4ghz/16gb/512gb proper 4-port MBP13 (2019). So far all good, but I'm reading so many things that make me wonder if I made the right choice.

Honestly, I'll probably NEVER use more than 8gb of ram, but I'm a sucker for future proofing a expensive computer.

512gb SSD? This I will actually need. Odds are I will need to run Bootcamp and I will install both lots of games and apps, in both MacOS and Windows.

4x vs 2x TB3 ports? I'll most likely be just fine on 2, I have a good multi adapter so that's fine.

Then the CPU... I'll probably get by just fine on even the 2019 MBA (I really LOVE the form factor), but the dual core really irks me. On the other hand, the base model pro seem like a good performer, but I read it does only have one fan vs the dual fan on 4 port MBP.

What to do? I'm don't really need any serious horse power as I have a AW PC for serious gaming and tasks, but a new Mac will be my daily driver. MBA 2019? MBP13 2019 base model? Or just be happy with my splurge 4 port version?

The most demanding thing I'll ever run is basically Photoshop Elements and Monkey Island 1 Special Edition.

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
Sometimes I second guess myself, but more often than not, I do my research up front and live with my decision. Did you order and return, order and cancel, none of the above?

Joe

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Sometimes I second guess myself, but more often than not, I do my research up front and live with my decision. Did you order and return, order and cancel, none of the above?

Joe
I’ve ordered it, still waiting for it, and will keep it.

Sword86

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012

I’m much the same as you only I will never, ever use the power of even the base 13 MBP, but I’m holding out until the next 13 is released and I’ll spring the bucks and get equivalent of today’s 2.4/512/16. For me it’s about future-proofing. It will no doubt be way more than I’ll need but I’ll hang onto it for a long time. Enjoy it. S