Having serious problems choosing iPad and Macbook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seong, Feb 11, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Hello, I am currently living in Japan and I am Korean.
    I have Macbook that I purchased in 2007 and iPod Touch 1G in 2008 (I don't really remember it).:(
    Few month after I bought BOTH products, Apple have refreshed their product lines and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED.:mad::mad::mad:
    Now, my iPod Touch and Macbook is getting slow everyday I use it. Sometimes, I get so frustrated that I swear for five min until the PAGE LOADES!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Now, I see a new Unibody Macbook (white) and iPad.
    All I want is this:
    -Type my essays
    -Lighter than my Macbook
    -Easy to carry
    -Games
    -Do some e-mail checks
    -Watch video or listen to music
    -Don't care about video chatting nor new iPad 2.0.

From all the lists, I can tell my self that I can live with new White Unibody Macbook, but then the part that matters is that I will then have three Macbooks lying around the house, and I wouldn't like that.
    Does anybody have any tips?:confused::confused:

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  3. yyy macrumors regular

Typing an essay on the iPad doesn't seem like a good idea so I'd go with a MacBook. If weight is a problem, go with the MacBook Air.

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

5. fobfob macrumors 6502

You should wait until you actually see and use the iPad. It is not a replacement for a laptop. It is not a general computer. It is a mobile/casual device.

Contrary to yyy, I think you can certainly type an essay on an iPad, if you use an external keyboard. But you have to think about the ergonomics of the iPad. Yes you can put it into a dock that makes it sort of like a laptop, but that is the limit of its intrusion into laptop space.

The reason the iPad seems fast is because it is running very simple apps, one at a time. Running from flash rather than an HDD helps too. But the processor is no faster than your 2007 Macbook, in fact it is slower.

The iPad will be a fun device that you'll likely want to pick up at some point. It is not a replacement for a laptop unless you use for the laptop is truly as simple as web and email, video and some light games.

BTW I have a 2008 MBP (2.4MHz C2D) and its quite a nifty machine. Not slow at all. Just my lap is very hot is all...

6. daferrisda macrumors member

My partner is in Uni and was also thinking about the iPad, it's a great idea and for short note taking I'd say go for it, any long essays then you would need to go with the external keyboard.

But at the end of the day it's a large iPod Touch, try out your daily activities on the iPod Touch, just to make sure they works, like web access, email etc. If you happy with that then go for it.

However why is your Macbook so slow, have you tried to re-build it or add more memory they should speed things up.

7. DaveSW macrumors 6502

8. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

They arent comparable, a macbook is a laptop computer, the iPad is a media viewing device, not really for typing essays, probably the best would be to buy a cheap windows laptop or something, and an iPad, or you could even get a netbook instead.

:apple:Mike

9. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Thanks.....

Well, what I am considering is iPad at the first look.
    I have plenty of money, but the problem is that I have to type an essay that is about 1000 or more words.
    I could buy the bluetooth or dock keyboard for sure, but then that would be awkward.
    For Macbook, it's big, but has good graphic so that I can play some games.
    Games? I would like to play SC2 when it comes out, but then I heard Blizzard is working on iPad SC2.

10. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

There really should be no decision problem. Macbook Pro. The iPad is nothing more than a large iPod Touch. For one device, get yourself a computer. You'll be a lot happier.

11. Durious macrumors 6502

Unless you plan to keep your current laptop then DO NOT buy an iPad. I couldn't imagine having an iPad and it crashing and have to try to recover everything without a saved backup on my mac!! ICK>..

Anyway GL in your choice! :)

12. nwxtl88 macrumors member

Apparently Apple and a lot of us computer users think that the iPad is going to be a very useful computer for the uses that you have listed. Some people probably will never like typing on the virtual keyboard, but I expect that some of us will get along just fine. Considering that Apple is selling a dock with a keyboard and have redone Pages for it, they apparently think people will use it for some serious writing. If after using it for a while and you are only so-so about typing on the virtual keyboard, then get the dock with keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard for those times you have to do one of those big essays. You might really like the advantages of the light weight and overall slim size.

As for keeping it backed up, this should be easy to do with the shared folder. It may not be as easy as the automatic backup methods, but there is no reason why you can't make a backup for each file when it's created. Or if you have a service, such as MobileMe, then you can back up your files easily.

If you are not in a hurry, wait until the iPad has been out for a little while and read what the early owners think of it before you decide.

Good luck.

13. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Buy the iPad and save money. Also, lose the excessive emoticons.

14. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

If you have three macbooks at your house I might suggest selling a few of them for cash towards either the macbook or netbook.

And hey, if you have three why not sell those three and get both an iPad AND a new macbook (The refurbished store sells them cheaper, too.)

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Then if you want to play such games how can you buy an iPad?

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an iPad or not, but if I don't it won't be for a Macbook, it would be for the new CanonRebel T2i. Decisions, decisions...

17. RMXO macrumors 6502a

If I were in your situation, I would back up all my data & do a fresh install of OS X. I would use the MB 2007 for essays & games while using the iPad for everything else. I might consider even getting the dock/KB combo for the iPad but that is me.

Way too many emoticons as someone mentioned.

18. yyy macrumors regular

So why should he buy an iPad if he already has/can buy a MacBook? It's like buying a motorcycle and a car.

Regarding the keyboard dock, it totally eliminates the benefits of a tablet making it useless unless you'll need it very rarely which is clearly not the case for someone who needs to write essays.

19. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I'd take a gameble on the iPad and it is alot cheaper than purchasing a new macbook!

20. Greystorm macrumors member

Buy more ram for your MacBook and put a clean install of Snow Leopard on there. It will speed up considerably.

21. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

iPad should fit you perfectly.
    You just described exactly what the iPad is meant to do.
    And if you don't really like the touchscreen keyboard, you can just pick up the physical keyboard for your essays.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    If he wants to play SC2 - how does the iPad fit him perfectly?

He really wants to have an MBP 13inch, or if that's not in his ballpark, a white Macbook. SC2 has a ton of sprites simultaneously.. it's to be a modern RTS. Blizzard aren't working on SC2 for the iPad, whoever said that was talking out of their pooper :D

23. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Thanks!

Ok, I know that was my first post and that was why I used too many emoticons.
    Well, by reading some, I found out that I should sell one.
    The problem is, I tried, and no one bought it at $400. It is pretty decent.
    I tried fresh install of it, but the problem is its still slow.
    I would be happy to buy an iPad, but what if Apple upgrade their Macbook line to better graphics, storage, and possibly 13.3" tablet?
    I will be waiting until summer when Apple could have some student discount and plus the iPod Touch.
    I would have bought the iPad if it had non-dependent OS, not like iPhone OS where you have to sync it to the Computer in order to get the data.
    I will be buying new Macbook Pro this summer.
    Thx guys!:D

24. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Well, you can use the bluetooth keyboard or the keyboard dock. I'm not saying it's the reason to get it, and it's not a mobile typing solution, but it may work depending on your needs.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think the iPad would be good for doing large amounts of typing or heavy gaming. I'd lean towards the MacBook, and if money isn't a problem maybe the MacBook Pro (or MacBook Air). The iPad wouldn't cut it for all the things you wanna do:(