Having serious retina envy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjn298, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mjn298 macrumors regular

I needed a new computer this past summer so I got a cMBP because I needed firewire at the time. Now, my main need for firewire now has native thunderbolt support (it was incompatible w/ the adapter for whatever reason) and I feel like a moron!

This computer rips (256 gb SSD, 16gb RAM) and w/ the retina display it would be even better. Trying to sell on "the list" right now. Hopefully I can work something out.

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

lol, just use what you have. The graphics card likes lower-res displays anyway. Easier to run.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would keep what you have and get the Retina MacBook Pro after it's refreshed.

4. mjn298 thread starter macrumors regular

Ya you guys are right.. this is a pure music-production machine and I love it. Should have taken it w/ the 1050 display at the very least, though.

5. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

you shouldn't suffer from retina envy because you already have 2

6. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Not to go against the grain here, but I just got my rMBP on Tuesday and absolutely love it. Same specs as what you listed too...it absolutely flies, but the display is out of this world.

7. mjn298 thread starter macrumors regular

ya the computers will be of equivalent speed (i don't do anything that uses the dedicated graphics card other than drive an external display)

It has no real practical purpose for me (I just think it's cool), I'm just a little miffed that my main decision point is moot just 2 months after the fact.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Apple will like you more if you give them more money, so just get the rMBP and call it a day lol.

9. zipur macrumors 6502

I had Retina envy, so I took my cMBP back. I love my machine but today I needed a LAN connection and did not have the adapter. Be happy with what you got.

10. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

11. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yup.

The 1050 display is "good enough" to hold me over for a while. 1440x900 just isn't quite enough.

12. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I got the Retina MBP and I still have retina envy each time I see one.

13. Leek macrumors newbie

If it makes you feel better, I returned mine. Yes text on it was gorgeous but to the same degree images looked interpolated and blurry, and overall it was a little dimmer than even my 2009 17" let alone the 2011 17" I just got. The only truly unmitigated kudos I can give it is that it really was quiet.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Every time I sit in front of my Thunderbolt display now, I am left wanting.

15. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Don't bother, I own both and the Thunderbolt display is twice as bright, much more uniform, and superior in every way. Pixel count is pointless because I can't see pixels at TB viewing distances anyway.

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I have both. I find reading on the Retina a joy. Not so much on the thunderbolt display, but as you say, it's a matter of distance. For those who may need to be closer to the screen however, it has implications.

17. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

??? You can blow the text size up to like 18-24 and sit back and read on the thunderbolt/iMac. Big screens and reading are unparalleled.

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Seconded.

The next generation or two will doubtlessly have a video subsystem capable of running the high-end resolution without any sluggishness...

MacBooks will easily last 3~5 years, or should last 5-10 IMHO, but with other factors prevailing, a 3-year cycle is more typical for those who need the faster speeds... :(

19. mjn298 thread starter macrumors regular

My retina envy has largely been abated as I analyzed my computer use in the past week

typically I am plugged into a 1080 display that I view from 2-2.5 feet away and it's perfect.

I should have sprung for the 1050 display on the laptop.. I regret that more.

20. Bilalo macrumors 6502

How did u put 16 gb ram on a cMBP its not on apple store?

21. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Crucial, Kingston etc.

I don't get retna envy, the screen is pretty then I see the lack of a DVD drive, non-standard SSD, no ethernet, and soldiered RAM and the screen becomes much less pretty.