having signal issues after the update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shirinos, Jul 15, 2010.

1. shirinos macrumors newbie

this is so stupid. i was happy with my signal reception and didn't have any death grip problems so far. i just updated to the new software and now i have low reception when i try that death grip thingy. i just... don't know what to think of this! :\

2. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

No, now you can actually SEE the signal problem. I think apple has created way more complaints by doing this.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It's because you always had lower reception with the death grip, just before it wasn't showing it. As long the phone is performing like it was before, if you were happy then you should be happy now, the only difference is that now the bars are actually showing what's going on.

4. jackblack73 macrumors newbie

5. shirinos thread starter macrumors newbie

like i said i had no low reception problems and the voice quality didn't change when i was on phone with death grip or whatever position i held it. i haven't tried calling up and testing the voice quality with the upgrade yet though.

6. RC83 macrumors 6502

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Couldn't have said it better myself
    Now all the flamers saying there is no issues will come crying back.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

No, you THOUGHT you had no low reception problems BECAUSE the bars weren't showing you what was going on. So before when you did the death grip, the bars wouldn't move, but your signal was actually lower it's just the bars didn't reflect this signal change. Now they do and you can see what other people have been talking about. But your voice and data quality shouldn't be any different because your true signal hasn't change at all.

9. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

If I was an Apple Genius right now, I would be letting out the world's longest exasperated sigh. The Apple store is probably flooded with moms and other non-tech people. "Well, it asked me some sort of question when I put it in the computer and it did something. Now I don't get as many bars!"

10. shirinos thread starter macrumors newbie

um... okay i buy this. i'll repost if i find that the quality varies drastically after trying out.

man i just tried posting an observation... not crying or nething lol. :D

11. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

duh ... do some thinking

[​IMG]

before you went from high 5 (no pun intended) to low 5
    now you're going from low 5 to a 3 ...

just an example ... same signal distortion, same data throughput, the bars just now properly reflect the effect

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Now it is showing you how much at&t really suck.:cool:

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

What are you talking about? This whole board is nothing but crying and complaining.

14. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Great picture, but one thing confuses me. This would seem to indicate that with updated firmware, you will have a *minimum* of 1 bar at all times? The other configurations show a white space to the left of 1 bar (I assume that's the "No Signal" range), but the iOS4.01 graph shows the red 1-bar zone extending all the way to the left. Am I missing something or are they making it to where you think you have 1 bar but really have no signal?

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I think it's been mentioned that the iPhone 4 is able to hold calls at low signal strengths where other phones drop more regularly. Perhaps the new configuration takes this into account and lowers the threshold before the phone shows no service?

16. bababoey14 macrumors regular

lol i'm updating now...probably going to regret it as I never really had much issue yet. Is there any way to go back to 4.0 if this is worse???

17. shirinos thread starter macrumors newbie

okay okay cut it out. sorry if i sounded like an idiot. i was just wondering why i didn't have the reception issue before the update like everyone else! :rolleyes:

18. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

This would explain why I can now stand in the same location where I was getting "No Service" prior to the firmware update, and now get 1 bar, but still incoming calls will go straight to voicemail. I think they're basically lying to you so you don't get the dreaded "Searching/No Service" message when you in fact don't have a viable signal. However, I can't seem to force the phone to drop a call like I could before either...

Basically, pre-update I could drop a call or force the phone into "Searching" mode at will via caseless death-grip in a certain location. Now, the most I can do is force the phone down from 3/2 bars down to 1 bar, can't force it to drop a call, but can make it so incoming calls go straight to voicemail. Very odd...

19. bababoey14 macrumors regular

why is it taking so long to download???? How big is this garbage????

20. wvphysics macrumors regular

Supposedly (according to apple), the iPhone 4 gets better signal and can maintain a call in lower signal. Thus the chart shows 1 bar at a lower signal than other phones. We'll see if that claim holds up.

21. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Right but I'm referring to the difference between the iPhone 4 iOS 4.0 graph and the iPhone 4 iOS 4.01 graph. Same hardware, but there is "white space" to the left of the red-1-bar-zone for iOS 4.0, and no white space to the left of the 1-bar zone for iOS 4.01. So either I'm missing something obvious, or they have hard-coded it to where the minimum you can get with iOS 4.01 is 1 bar.

Edit: In other words, with iOS 4.01 you now have 1 bar with -121 dBm, whereas with iOS 4.0 you would be beneath 1 bar (i.e., "No Signal")..

22. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Sneaky sneaky. So now this will shift the issue back to AT&T as people will say there phone is still showing one bar but can't get service.

23. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Very sneaky indeed. At the same time, as I said, I'm no longer able to drop calls at will like I was before via death-grip. I can make it so incoming calls go direct to voice mail (with 1 bar), but if I already have a call established and death-grip, I now maintain 1 bar and can't force the call to drop. And due to their visual trickery, I never see less than 1 bar period. Maybe this solves slightly more than people are giving it credit for in terms of dropped calls in certain cases...

24. wvphysics macrumors regular

Bar ranges are changed in the software including the minimum for 1 bar. You may be thinking of the "minimu" as zero signal, which is not the case. The minimum is simply defined as the attenuation as which the device can no longer maintain a connection. It's not a "hard coded change" just a software display change, doesn't mean it'll actually hold a call with that low signal.