Having some iMac issues, any advice welcome.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by streetfoldsfive, Jul 8, 2015.

1. streetfoldsfive, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

So I have a late 2012 27" iMac. with a 3.4GHz i7, 8GB of ram, and a 2gb GTX 680. It is also the 1TB plus Fusion variation.

Over the last two/three months I've begun to notice that my mac is becoming quite slow during regular browsing, music playing, etc. I thought this was odd since I am on the latest firmware. Any ideas?

What is even stranger is that bootups from sleep mode/ restarts take exceptionally long despite (to my knowledge) the OS being on the SSD. Now I did use bootcamp at one point (since deleted and unpartitioned) so maybe that messed up the OS on the ssd?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: It seems that my SSD portion is empty? Is there anyway to to get the OS back on there/make sure the fusion software is doing its job (I.E. recognizing and moving my most used apps to the ssd)?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

How do you see that your SSD portion is empty?

If you are seeing it as a separate drive in Finder, then no, you don't have your drives in a "Fusion" configuration anymore. Did you restore your system from a backup at some time after a problem?

I know of no way that a Fusion drive can separate the join and keep running without the user realizing it.

If you don't have a Fusion joined drives anymore, there are several way to continue. You can install OS X on the SSD and use the hard disk as a separate disk. Or, you can fully backup everything on the hard drive to a external drive, then rebuild the Fusion drive, then restore the newly created Fusion drive from the just created backup disk.

3. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Yeah I can see them both in finder. Then clicking on the ssd shows that it's empty. I'm not sure how it happened, but those are the two ways to fix it? Should I google for those instructions?

Kind of upsetting since I don't know how it happened, and now I have to clear my computer. Darn.

4. ZVH macrumors 6502

You can't tell by looking at the drive free space in Disk Utility how much is used on a Fusion drive. Take a look at the first Scannerz screen shot when testing a Fusion drive:

http://scsc-online.com/ScannerzScreenShots.html

You'll notice in the panel to the left of the drive list that it basically reports there's no free space. That's because when looking at components of a Core Storage unit all it reports is the virtual file system partition which is always 100% used. If the Fusion drive in that picture (the one right up above the selected drive) had been selected it would have reported the total free and used space on the Fusion drive.

And now for the most likely real culprit…do I ask it? Are you using Yosemite? If you're on 10.10.3 and can get 10.10.4 move to it because it's better….still has some bugs but the performance is better.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Did your iMac come with a Fusion drive setup when new? There are many detailed threads here for creating/fixing Fusion drives, but there is a good chance that when you do a recovery restart and enter DiskUtility from there, it will offer to fix your Fusion drive automatically. Then select the InstallOSX option and migrate your date from the backup when presented with the option. It all may take several hours to fully restore a large system.

If you have to manually create your Fusion drive, it is very easy (2 Terminal commands) as described here:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html