Having some issues booting my Macbook up.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZombieRaptor, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ZombieRaptor macrumors newbie

I have been the proud owner of the new 13 inch Macbook that came out this past fall since its release. So far it has served me very well, but today it threw me for a loop and got me pretty worried.

When I tried booting it up, it would not get past the gray before the Apple logo. I was getting the chime and all, but it would chime and then sit there with a blank white-ish gray screen for the rest of forever. So I tried it again and the same thing. After looking around the Intertubes I figured out that it is probably an issue with the battery. Cue me removing the battery and replacing it back into the system for some reason to see... something. So then I put it back in the computer, tried again, same story.

What I tried next worked. I unplugged the Mag Safe adapter and booted the computer up off of battery alone. I am using the Macbook to post right now. I have it working, but I am still worried. I want you guys' opinion as to what might have caused that and what I should do to avoid it in the future. So, long story short: Wouldn't boot up until I removed the wall-adapter and boot up off of battery alone. After I had it on I plugged it back in, shut down, and restarted to see if it would boot up when plugged in. It did.

But what's got me scared is the fact that it happened at all. As we all know, these are not cheap machines at all, and I don't want to lose mine. I had to take out a loan just to get this thing. :( So my question is what do you guys think caused this? What should I do to avoid it in the future? Should I leave it plugged in less? Is it a battery issue? A power-source issue? Is it worse (God, I hope not).

Thanks in advanced for any assistance offered.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. ZombieRaptor thread starter macrumors newbie

Because you have no idea what's wrong or because I need to get it fixed by professionals? That is very vague.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? That cures a lot of strange and minor ailments. If you've installed extra RAM in the machine, that could also cause these intermittent problems. This has-been-mac-tech-turned-bean-counter thinks the most likely culprit is the RAM. There's a slight chance of the logic board being the problem. Very slight. I remember dealing with these sort of intermittent problems. Pain in the (_!_) with a capital "A" brother. Sometimes they pop up ever few tries, other times they stay hidden for weeks on end.

5. ZombieRaptor thread starter macrumors newbie

This is kind of frightening. I haven't installed any extra RAM, though. I hadn't even taken off the casing thing until earlier today when I was checking the battery. Personally I am suspicious of the battery or power source just because of what I did to get it booted up. However, I am not a mac tech.

I will say this, though. I know Mac's policy on water damage or whatever. I also know about the moisture sensors. in November, a month after I got this machine, my dumb ass accidentally spilled a VERY little bit of root beer near the delete key. I immediately shut down and turned the computer upside-down to drain it out. It's been months since that, and the only issue I encountered with it was some stickiness that has gone away. I really doubt that this issue has anything to do with that spill, since that happened so long ago. But if it's actually the spill's fault or not, I know that if I send it into Apple they are going to screw me over because of it, most likely. From my understanding it voided my warranty, even if it did no damage.

Any thoughts about this?

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

My non-professional advice (which is the same as my professional advice back in the day, except $60 cheaper:D) is to not worry about it unless it happens again. Something happens only once, I usually consider it a fluke. Now if it happens repeatedly, I'd send it in. If you're worried, have it check out by a Genius about a month before the warranty expires, but don't mention the root beer spill.;)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Because it seems to be hardware.

8. ZombieRaptor thread starter macrumors newbie

I like this advice and am going with it.