having some issues installing 4 gbs in mb063

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thejakemer, Jan 17, 2009.

1. thejakemer macrumors newbie

hey everyone,

i'm having some issues installing my 4 gbs of ram into my macbook that i just got. it's the mb063, so it's an older black one. so i do everything that i am supposed to when installing the ram. however, once i am finished and put the cover on and everything it just won't turn back on.

i press the power button and the light turns on, the screen gets slightly brighter for a split second before getting dark again, and the hard disk makes the whirring sound like it usually does when it starts up. but then there's nothing. the screen remains dark and the light on the body of the computer stays on.

has anyone else had this issue or could it be an issue with the ram? any help would be great

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Sounds like you bought the wrong type of RAM, or a brand of RAM that isn't compatible with Apple products.

As it fits its obdviously DDR3 you've bought, but you probably got the wrong type.

3. thejakemer thread starter macrumors newbie

it's the right kind of ram. 4 gb of DDR2 pc6400 which is compatible with the one that i actually need to put into my computer

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats the wrong type of RAM. What you need is the following:

DDR2 PC2-5300

Can be bought here:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Hz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch Black) MB063LL/B

You need two 2GB sticks of it. One 4GB stick wont work because its not supported by your laptop's motherboard (place where the RAM sits).

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

6400 should be backward compatible. you might have just gotten some bad RAM.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It doesnt always become backwards compatible in the Black Macbooks which i believe is the one he has. Noone knows exactly why but Apple puts limits on which RAM and which brands can work in their computers. This forums full of threads on it.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

8. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

No! The polycarbonate macbooks don't take DDR3, he bought the right type of RAM or else it wouldn't even fit. It may have been a bad batch.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I never said he bought DDR3. Read the whole tread properly next time, he has the wrong type of DDR2, please dont write completely pointless random posts and comments that dont help.