Having Some Problems With my MBP and FCE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nyycavo24, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In February I bought a MBP 2.4GhZ, 160GB HD, 2 GB RAM.....I bought to make a fairly involved movie that I am making.

I am about half way through and all of a sudden it started getting REAL slow on me....almost unusable...renderings take way too long, even moving along the timeline takes a while....this wasn't the case for the first 5 months, but all of a sudden...

I noticed my HS space is down to 40 GB from 160GB...Is this the reason? Additionally, what are some solutions to the problem?

Will buying an external hard drive and storing all files on there free up enough space to make it run smoothly again?

Help!

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Answered your own question. :p

But no, keep your editing on a separate hard drive. Get a hard drive with preferably Firewire 800 for faster transfering speeds, etc.

3. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks for the reply...

So, if I am half way through the project, can I just take all 60 Gigs of video I have and move it to the external drive? Or do I change some settings in FCE?

Will moving these files screw up the referencing of the files in FCE?

Thanks again.