Having some serious monitor issues with my 2010 Mac Pro (Please help!)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lifeguy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Lifeguy macrumors member

So I recently hooked up my new Mac Pro with a Dell Ultrasharp 23” (US2311H) and Im noticing some issues. Everything was working fine for the first few days until I started to notice some small things, such as screen tearing with certain games.

A few days ago I turned on my computer and noticed that my Apple login screen got all fuzzy and pixilated. The picture would flash in and out until I restarted my computer. This happened a few other times and would eventually fix itself from either restarting the comp or restarting the monitor.

Last night I noticed that the monitor will now stay black for an extended period of time while loading something. It could be when I’m loading my computer up or opening a program. So I’m not sure if this is a problem with the monitor or something with my computer (maybe the video card?)

The specs for my comp:

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Nehalem
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    1TB 7200 RPM HD
    ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB
    Mac OS X 10.6
    Windows 7 64 bit

The only things I’ve been doing on my comp lately is transferring files from an external HD and playing a few games (SC2, FFXIV beta)

Im also wondering if its bad to restart the computer several times a day (to go from OSX to Windows 7 through Boot camp)

Thanks in advance

2. DualShock macrumors 6502

3. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

I should also mention that the monitor is hooked up through the DVI port.

Also, does anyone have an answer to the last part of my question?

"Im also wondering if its bad to restart the computer several times a day (to go from OSX to Windows 7 through Boot camp)"

Thanks

4. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

It seems like most people in that thread are having issues with dual monitors and/or connecting with a mini DisplayPort.

5. strausd macrumors 68030

Some people might say it is because of the constant heating and cooling of the components. Also, the startup spin on the harddrive is the most intense, and enough of it can, over time, damage the drive, at least from what I have heard.

6. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input

Thats disappointing to hear since I bought the computer with the intentions of going back and fourth without any problems. Anyone know how much of an effect this can have on the hardware? Is it anything to worry about?

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine it will cause a problem in the short to medium term.....Maybe not even long term either....Computer hardware is generally built to withstand the rigours of being switch on and off.

8. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I figured. I might make a new topic regarding this to get some more feedback. Thanks for the input.

9. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

Still having the same problems unfortunately. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Im really trying to figure out whats going on here.

10. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I'd contact Apple and try to get a new tower or get to an authorized repair center and get them to fix it.

If there are some bad batches of those 5870's, it's best for everyone that's affected to raise some hell with Apple.

12. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

I'm definitely going to be calling them later today. I'm wondering how they're going to help though. Do you think they'd send me a new computer and allow me to send the old one back after receiving the new one? I really don't want to be without a computer for 1-2 weeks while I wait for the exchange unit to process/ship.