Having some trouble with rules in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevo0822, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kevo0822 macrumors regular

So I'm trying to set up Mail.app to forward any messages that have [wmfo] or [wmfo-sublist] in the subject to my friend's email address...

I set up the rule like in the picture, yet it won't work! Am I forgetting to do something? Help!

Attached Files:

2. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors regular

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Try setting up two different rules, one for Subject/Contains/[wmfo] and the other for Subject/Contains/[wmfo-sublist].

With the rule you have setup now, you are telling Mail to follow two rules, which one cancels the other out. Make sense?

David

4. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried that and it still doesn't look like it's working... is there something I have to do in order to apply the rules? I was under the impression that they kind of just "go" once you make them...

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

What you tried the first time should work. It's a Boolean "OR" operation, there should be no need to separate them.

Try it without the square brackets, I've got a bad feeling about them.

And, are you sure you're forwarding it to your buddy's correct email address? Possibly he's got multiple emails and it's sending it to an old Hotmail account that he's not checking?

Or is there an earlier Rule that contains the instruction "Stop Evaluating Rules"? That might bring it all to a crashing halt.

Finally, remember that this will only work with NEW incoming emails, it won't forward OLD ones already received.

Good luck! :apple:

6. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors regular

So I was able to get it to work... I changed "Forward message" to "Redirect message" and it started sending the messages to my friend's email... I still don't understand why it wasn't working when "Forward message" was selected or what the difference between forward message and redirect message is, but whatever! It's working! Thanks for your help!