Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheardude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I have owned my iPhone 3GS for a little over a month now and it has been an incredible phone. The battery life was a large amount and lasted through my day. Recently, a waitress accidentally spilled coke on my shorts and inside those shorts was my iPhone 3GS. The only thing protecting it were the pockets. It was very sticky when I took it out but appeared to work perfectly. A day afterwards, I am noticing a huge decrease in my battery life. The battery percentage seems to drop almost twice as fast. At times, doing the same routines such as checking websites, the percentage is much lower than usual. At times where it would usually only loose 2-3 percent, it is loosing 4-6. I checked on Apple's website and I still have a warranty. Should I waste my warranty now or wait and see if a new update would fix this? Resetting did not help and I don't think restoring can either. I have not changed any of the settings this whole time. Even when turning down my brightness, the battery drops even faster than it did on a higher brightness setting. Please help.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You can try to get a warranty replacement, but you should be aware that the warranty does not officially cover damage due to liquid intrusion (the fact that it's soda and not water probably is not going to let you get off on a technicality). Sometimes they give people a "gimme" on it, but I dunno how often. The phone (like most others) has water sensors in it so that they will usually know it got wet.

sheardude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
You can try to get a warranty replacement, but you should be aware that the warranty does not officially cover damage due to liquid intrusion (the fact that it's soda and not water probably is not going to let you get off on a technicality). Sometimes they give people a "gimme" on it, but I dunno how often. The phone (like most others) has water sensors in it so that they will usually know it got wet.

But what if I tell them it happened spontaneously and act surprised if they see my sensor is on if it even is on? Don't they have a new policy where they will replace your iPhone when your sensor is on and there is a problem?

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
But what if I tell them it happened spontaneously and act surprised if they see my sensor is on if it even is on? Don't they have a new policy where they will replace your iPhone when your sensor is on and there is a problem?

They have a policy where, if they see your sensor is triggered, they won't look any further at your phone. It's automatically out of warranty at that point.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
They have a policy where, if they see your sensor is triggered, they won't look any further at your phone. It's automatically out of warranty at that point.

Right. They could justifiably tell you that, should you be convinced that you should not pay for a new cell phone yourself, you have the existing recourse of suing the waitress and/or restaurant or otherwise haranguing them into buying you a new phone. I'm not telling you not to try the old "I don't speak English too well" gag, but, like the "old Wookie Prisoner gag," it isn't much guaranteed to work. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.