Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
I've never owned my own mac before but I've used iMac desktops for years at my college. I recently got my own macbook pro 13" 2.53ghz and have been loving it all day.

I've found one problem though, that seems to really get to me when I'm working in adobe, or even just trying to close a window or play WoW.

Seems, with any pointer device (tablet, wireless mouse, trackpad) sometimes it does not register the click and I keep trying to click the x, fill in a shape, or even just loot a corpse and it won't register it. I have to move whatever I wish to click and then reattempt to click it and it will work. This gets extremely aggravating when drawing with my tablet, it will not allow me to draw a line where I specifically want it because it wont register it.

Could it just be a weird setting I haven't checked or is this an actual issue with the macbook?

And I've googled this problem, but people only have problems with the trackpad. I have problems with many different pointer devices, not just the trackpad.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, if it's with multiple devices and you're not having any other problems, it's got to be software. That said, I've never seen nor even heard of a symptom like that. Out of curiosity, have you installed any drivers or system utilities? I could imagine something like a misbehaving tablet driver "capturing" clicks and sending them nowhere.

The other thing you can try is creating a new user account and playing with it for a while to see if it displays the problem. If not, it's something specific to the other user you'd set up. If it does, then it's either a driver or system-level utility (or, I suppose, something corrupt in the OS). Since it's new, you might try doing a clean reinstall of OSX and make sure everything is fine, then add new software/hardware one at a time and see which (if any) new addition causes the issue.

The Universal Access pref pane (for people with disabilities) also includes options that mess with keyboard/pointer stuff, but I don't think any of them would affect mouse clicks that way (you can always have a look, though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.