Having to re-buy in-app purchases on ipad/iphone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Drecca, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

I'm having a weird issue, and I can't figure it out. We're a family of 3, so there are 2 ipads, 2 iphones.

I got zen pinball arcade for the kid. Fun games, bought a few extra tables as in-app purchases.

Now I want it on my iphone, same AppleID on all devices. App gets downloaded, but it forces me to re-buy the same tables again. I clicked yes, thinking it would say "you've already purchased this, do you want to download it?" but nope, it tells me "you've purchased this already, are you sure you want to buy it again?"

This is the first time I do in-app purchases. Are they not valid across all devices using the same appleID, especially if it's all in the same family/home?

2. perpenso macrumors newbie

In-app purchases can be consumable or non-consumable. Consumables are tied to the device that they were purchased on. They have to be purchased again for each device. They may also be something that can be used up eventually, so repurchasing on the original device is possible too. Non-consumables do not have these restrictions. They act exactly like apps. One you buy them you own them forever and they are tied to your account so you won't be charged as you move to newer devices.

Developers have complete freedom to define an in-app purchase as consumable or non-consumable.