Having to Reinstall Leopard and need help backing up files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lukefinch, May 6, 2009.

1. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

First post on this very informative site...

Anyway, i need to reinstall leopard because i have accidentally deleted the instrument library for garage band on my Macbook and i really need to use that application.

So i was wondering how, and what is the best way, to back up my applications e.g. Photoshop CS4, iPhone SDK, iShowU HD and Microsoft office?

For this i was thinking i could maybe use mobile me? i have an account.

Also if anyone could tell me how to restore the files i have deleted so i do not have to completely reinstall leopard and iLife 08 that would be great. The message i get when i open Garageband is...

Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who can help me!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Make a backup easily with time machine that is built into leopard. And if you just need to reinstall garage band then you should just reinstall it from the gray discs that come with your mac. :)

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Just reinstall GarageBand from the install discs.

4. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

how do i reinstall JUST GARAGEBAND from the 2 reinstall disks?

or even all of ilife 08?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To avoid issues down the line, remove the Garageband application, its /Library/Application Support folder, and its associated files in /Library/Receipts to the Trash and empty. Insert disc 1, instead of launching "Install OS X and bundled applications" look for "Install Bundled Applications Only." Launch, and one of the screen will list the applications, you may have to click the disclosure triangle next to Bundled Applications to see the whole thing. Make sure GB is checked, as are its instruments/loops, click install, insert disc 2 when disc 1 is ejected. Run updates, try relaunching Garageband.

Reinstalling iLife '08 is the same process as long as your computer shipped with it and its on disc 2. Newer systems (unibody machines) can install from disc 2 alone.

6. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

well it came with iLife 08 preinstalled with leopard so wiill it be on disk 1 or 2 I am a little confused as to which disk to incert?

BTW- the two disks I have are called "Mac OS X Install disk 1" and "Mac OS X install disk 2"

Thanks for all your help and once I know what disk to use, I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just stick in the first disc and it should be pretty self explanatory. :)

8. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

ok great, I'll have a go tomorrow and see if it works. BTW, about my first question, can anyone tell me how or what's the easiest way to back up mac applications such as photoshop, microsoft office etc?

9. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Everything worked perfectly, thank you so much!