Having to restart after four hours.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by woodekm, May 30, 2009.

1. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Not sure what my MBPs issue is called, for a search.

If I use my MBP for more than about four hours or so (while on the internet) the web pages stop showing images and fonts all turn into a ASCII type text. The pages look weird and I have to restart to have the internet look normal.

This issue has occurred since I've owned this laptop. Even before I installed the additional RAM.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Even weirder is my Mac mini has the exact issue so Im wondering if all macs do this. I'll post this over on the Mac Mini board as well in case its a problem specific to the MINI.

Thanks!
    W

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That is a wierd coincidence. Is the font just messing up in the browser? Are you using Safari or Firefox? I would try reinstalling those programs or the OS, and see if that alleviates the problem.

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Has it always done it, or did it just start happening after you loaded some new software?

Does it do it if you log in with a different user?

Does it do it on a clean install of OSX? You can do a time machine backup, reload OS X and see if the problem is there prior to restoring your user settings and applications.

I am suspicious that you installed something meant to tweak your Mac that caused this to occur on both of your machines.

4. Batman101 macrumors member

Its for your own good, dont use the computer too much:p

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Maybe it's your ISP? I know at college I never had issues going to websites, but now at home, it's almost impossible to use OSX on the internet because I have so many issues with my ISP.

6. woodekm thread starter macrumors 65816

woodekm

I use Firefox and have never loaded ANY software on either computer. I use them only for the internet. (sad, but true).

I'm a little concerned now:eek:......... Dont alot of people spend 3 to 4 hours on the internet per day?? :eek: 3 to 4 hrs is a light day for me. How can I be the only one with this issue with their mac(s) ???? They have to be able to handle more than that!;) Jeez!

It isn't a real big deal (just having to restart), but just wondering what a fix is.
    Thx! W

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...since it happens on your MBP as well as your mini, I think it's safe to say it's not just a problem specific to the Mini.

It has to be a problem with your ISP or internet connection. How do you get on the internet? Wire? Router? Wireless?

8. woodekm thread starter macrumors 65816

woodekm

Wifi through a cable provider. Airport.

Good point. Never thought of it. It makes sense. What might cause it though?

I spend ALOT of time on the internet.