Having to type .com extension in safari (snow leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slov, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Slov macrumors newbie

Feb 29, 2008
    I'm running the latest versions of safari/snow leopard

Just recently i noticed i can't just type "google" or "amazon" but i now need to include the .com extension. not sure how or why this happened. if i don't type the .com i get taken to a comcast (my isp) site that tells me my search cannot be found.

any ideas on what this could be? or how to fix it? i've searched and only found a possible dns or proxy server setting, however, i never changed anything other than upgrading to snow leopard. i called comcast and they were of no help.

any advice would be much appreciated.

2. everkleer macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2008
    Same question (.com in Safari)

I had decided to switch to Firefox for a while and finally decided to switch back to Safari when I upgraded to Snow Leopard (since I can't stand the lack of 'Services' support in FF.) Right away when I switched, I noticed I couldn't just type "google" or "macosxhints" or anything without the ".com" (unless I had visited one of those sites recently in which case the autocomplete took care of it.) I remember for a fact that this worked when I used it a long time ago as one of my favorite features when I switched to Mac was that I could always just hit return and it would immediately add ".com" - I didn't even have to hit CTRL-Enter like I do on IE in Windows.

I did a whole lot of searching and found a lot of people with the same question but no answers. A lot of people suggested it might be ISP or DNS related but I'm 90% sure it's not. I've had the same ISP and have been using their default DNS servers for years, and plus when this was working, it worked only in Safari - definitely not in IE (if I typed "google" in IE, it would say "Looking up host google..." for like 10 or 20 seconds, then it would just do a web search for the word google.)

I hope someone can provide some help. If not a hidden setting to enable this, perhaps a plug-in/add-on?
  3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2008
    Canada, where we live in igloos.
    Add these IP adresses to the DNS Servers list in System Pref>Network>Advanced>DNS

It redirects typed urls to OpenDNS who add the .com and send the address on.
  4. brasscat macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    This is a change Comcast made to your Internet service. They're making shortcut names like "google" resolve to their search page in order to get a little extra cash for the click-thru.
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You can turn it off.

-Go to Users and Settings
    -Find the box to the right with "My devices"
    -Disable Domain Helper
    -reboot router

Should work the way you want it now.

Attached Files:

6. everkleer macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2008
    Re: Having to type .com extension in safari (snow leopard)

Wow, thanks for the workaround, @cosmokanga2 ! I guess if I'd thought about it, I would've realized that custom DNS servers would do the trick (actually I did think about it as mentioned in my post... so I don't know why I didn't try this before.) I'm still 99% certain that this used to be a feature of Safari (see my post above) and they removed it at some point for some strange reason. After following everything on macosxhints.com for a while, I've come to the conclusion that Apple seems to like to remove little-known features from their OS/Applications for whatever reason.

I'd be interested to know if the Comcast thing above was the problem for @Slov and if the solution provided by @miles01110 worked for him. This was not my issue (I'm not even on Comcast and was not being forwarded to any page - I just got a not found page after a 30 second timeout.)