Having tough time removing screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by basketball762, Sep 11, 2011.

1. basketball762 macrumors regular

Hi! I am right now trying to remove the back cover of my MacBook Pro Early 2011 model. The issue is, I having a very hard time removing two of the screws. I have taken eight out of the ten screws out but two of them are just being really hard to get out. I know I am using the right tool because I bought this tool kit from amazon which is specially made for removing your macbook back cover. One of the two screws that I am trying to remove is losing its "footing" and what I mean by this is that when I place my screw driver on the screw their is no threads on the screw. How can I get these two screws out of my macbook? I would hate to take my computer to Apple and pay them a lot of money for something that I feel like I can do for free. Also sorry if this was confusing. This is very hard to put into words haha, :D

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Sounds like you may have stripped the head of a Phillips head screw.

Sometimes you can get a grip on it with the flat blade of a flat head screwdriver, maybe with a little bit of rubber beneath the blade. If it's really hosed then you may have to get a screw extraction bit of the correct size to get it out; check your local hardware store. Or maybe gunsmith sources.

There are some other solutions, but they are even riskier, like using some heat or drilling it out completely.

Rob

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

As said above seems like you smashed the top of the screw heads.
    Mine was not hard to remove.