Having trouble downloading 3.0 update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sharoo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. sharoo macrumors newbie

I just bought a brand-new iPod touch and was annoyed to discover that I was expected to pay to upgrade to version 3.0 (which was released two months ago). But heck, what's $10, right? But when I tried to download it through iTunes on my Windows XP computer, the download started briefly and then immediately quit with no error message. There were no pending downloads in my Downloads or Store folder. AND, I had been charged for the download!

I spent the next week emailing back and forth to iTunes support. They reposted the download to my account and I tried again - same failure. At this point I started asking for my money back, and finally got the charge reversed. However, I still want 3.0. Can I just go to an Apple store and get the upgrade?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Note that I have downloaded multiple apps from iTunes with no problems at all.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Unfortunately the iTunes store is the only place to get the firmware upgrade. 3.0 will not be included in iPod Touches until the next update of the iPod itself; that's the way it's been in the past.

3. omnomnomno macrumors newbie

If you just bought it, I would recommend returning it and waiting for the next generation(which will almost certainly come out within two weeks).