Having Trouble Downloading Files from FTP Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sheepopo39, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I've been having trouble downloading files from an ftp server (ftp://releases.mozilla.com for example) on Finder and while it does fully download eventually, it takes a while and if I click the x to stop it, the download won't stop. Is this a known problem with Finder, is it a glitch, or is it my internet connection.

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

If you're mostly accessing public FTP servers with the sole intention of downloading, you're better off simply using your browser. If you want to upload files and use more advanced secure protocols, get a real FTP client - Cyberduck is a decent free one.

In any case, don't bother using Finder.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Finder is hopeless with FTP's - was hoping Apple would fix this in Leopard, but they didn't.

I'm sure it was one of the things talked about at one of the keynotes - using Finder to upload FTP files reliably. It is still useless - I just use Transmit.

Same applies for downloading files.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not quite. The OP's is having issues with downloading. The Finder supports FTP downloads. The usual complaint about the Finder with respect to FTP is about uploading. The Finder does not upload using the FTP protocol. Whatever issue the OP may have with FTP downloads, it cannot compare to a missing feature.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Finder is pretty useless when it comes to transferring files, which is why I recommended using a dedicated application instead for transferring files via FTP. :)

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have nothing against dedicated FTP clients. In fact, I strongly recommend Cyberduck, Fetch, and Interarchy--the latter which enables Finder uploads and as well as downloads. That said, I have never had a moment's trouble using the Finder to download files from FTP servers.