Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Chicago
There is a certain file in my trash bin that won't delete, I don't believe it is locked or anything, it just says, "The operation can’t be completed because the item “sixtyforce” is in use."

"sixtyforce" was this emulator that I downloaded, but it was the older version of it, so I wanted to delete it, but that message keeps coming up.

Can anyone help me out with this?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Empty the trash holding down the alt key and it should force empty what ever is in the trash.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
There is a certain file in my trash bin that won't delete, I don't believe it is locked or anything, it just says, "The operation can’t be completed because the item “sixtyforce” is in use."

"sixtyforce" was this emulator that I downloaded, but it was the older version of it, so I wanted to delete it, but that message keeps coming up.

Can anyone help me out with this?

did you eject the dmg before emptying the trash? this is assuming you are running sixtyforce straight from the dmg however

Nuge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Chicago
I did restart already, didn't work.

I tried emptying while holding alt/option

And I believe I ejected/deleted every other file affiliated with the sixtyforce file

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
lol...i've had that damn "sixty force" file in my trash bin for over a year. I can't wait to get home and see if the above links work. thanks guys

fl4ck

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
phew

Good thing you guys dealt with this already.. only a few minutes of not being able to delete this was freaking me out.. lol. Thanks, the secure delete worked perfectly.

Freakazoid28

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
I got a question. When I'm prompted to type in my password on the terminal, it doesn't let me. What should I do?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
When you type a password in terminal it won't show any visual clues. It will only show 'Password.'

When this is displayed type your password in a press return. It will run the action.

Freakazoid28

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
When you type a password in terminal it won't show any visual clues. It will only show 'Password.'

When this is displayed type your password in a press return. It will run the action.

Oh thank you, it worked perfectly. Sooo glad to finally get rid of it.

mitchperson

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Idaho
One fix that I found that is reletivly easy is to enable the root user account and then delete the trash folder that is giving you trouble. OSX will automatically create a new one the next time you delete something. Here is a link from Apple support to help you with this. Follow the instructions to the letter or you could end up damaging your OS. Hope this helps

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/11778.html

vcsuri

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Simplest proven solution!

There's a simple solution mate:

Go to Finder > Preferences > Advanced and select "Empty Trash Securely".

Then just bin the app and empty your Trash, it should be gone. Forever!

demitriarcheas

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
didnt work

Hey, so I have a simiar problem and I tried what the site suggested about terminal but when I dragged the file from the desktop and press enter i dont get prompted for my password. I get a message that says no such file or directory. Am I doing something wrong??

----------

Nvm. spoke too soon. dyslexia is a bitch

katieny1974

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Thank You!

I had a trashed file that wouldn't empty, and your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you for posting! ;)

iRezaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
awesome

This worked perfectly for me, thank you :D

dnchari

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010

Worked like a charm, Great thanks

gwill

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013

Worked like a charm thanks

Jekahog

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013

OMG! THAT SAVED ME DUDE! I just HATE when something just occupy my trash like that.. i just want it to be empty... i spent two hours looking for a solution to this crap!

THANX AGAIN!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.