Having trouble getting HD video to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danmc00, Oct 31, 2009.

1. danmc00 macrumors regular

I just bought my 27" iMac and I recently purchased a Canon HF200 HD camcorder also. The camcorder records to a SDHC card. The first time I loaded video to the iMac, I just put the SDHC card into the SD slot on the side of the computer and it worked fine. It imported into iMovie great. Now when I insert the SD card into the slot, it just pulls up iPhoto. Even if there is nothing to import. I have video I just shot on the camcorder on the card. I tried using the USB cable that came with the camcorder also. I can load it to other computers, so I know the camcorder is recording just fine. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I don't know where to start.
    Best Buy recommended me using a firewire connection, but I can't find a firewire connection on my camcorder.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can import video to iPhoto as well and then copy it to iMovie if you want to edit it. I bought a Canon camera yesterday and been playing with it and I've used USB because I don't have SD slot

3. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

That's the problem. If I take snapshots with my camcorder, they show up in iPhoto, but the video doesn't.

4. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Try using the USB cable first, and see if iMovie recognizes it (there is no firewire on that camera). Let us know if this works.