Having trouble importing from Canon Vixia HF200 to imovie '11

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pinetarsports, Mar 4, 2011.

1. pinetarsports macrumors newbie

here are the basics:

Macbook OS 10.6.6
    imovie '11 9.0.2.
    Canon Vixia HF200
    Card: 8GB Speed Class 4

The HF200 is and always has been recognized easily. When I bring up "import from Camera" it shows me all of the clips on the camera and I can click and choose which clips to bring in.

Sometimes it will import the full clip, but most often it says there is an error and it imports only a portion of the clip. There is a higher success rate with clips under 5:00 in length.

I have re-initialized, I have re-booted, I have used other USB cords and ports.

I never had this problem on my PC. However, I could never import to movie maker as I had to go through Pixelia Imagemaker or something like that. Do I need some sort of similar program for the mac? I was told I dont need anything for imovie.

I am getting sooo frustrated and I have called Tech Support from Canon and Mac and neither could solve it.

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

If you're recording to SD cards can't you just use a card reader to transfer the files over instead of going through the camera?

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i have the canon HF100 and i do precisely that.

never had a problem and neither has imovie *touches wood*

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Nice to try and help, but that's wrong. iMovie imports AVCHD easily from a camera or card image, so if there's something wrong, that needs to be fixed rather than adding unnecessary steps.

I like the idea of trying to mount the card directly and pointing iMovie at that.