Having trouble importing photos to iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 14, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I did a format and backed everything up now im trying to load my pictures back into my iphoto library but they aren't showing up?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

How did you backup the photos and what methods have you tried to get them back into iPhoto?

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I backed them up onto CD as they were allocated in the iphoto library (ie in folders 2005 2006 2007 etc) and now I have tried pasting the folders into the iphoto library photo with no luck

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

When you backed up did you copy the entire iPhoto Library folder?

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I just copied the photos in the ipod photo library folder onto a CD seperately?

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Did you have iTunes set up to have the full-resolution photos on your iPod?

If so, theoretically it should be as easy as putting those photos in the Originals folder of your iPhoto Library folder, then holding down Command-Option while you launch iPhoto and select the last option in the dialog box (something about recovering orphaned photos in the iPhoto Library folder). Try that, if that doesn't work...the only other option may be to use Import to Library from the File menu.

7. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I dont think I have that set up but I'll give it a try thanks. (my old library was divided into original and modified but its not like that at the moment)

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Just to make sure I understood correctly...you formatted and only have the photos that were on your iPod right? You didn't have a backup of the iPhoto Library folder in Home/Pictures?

If that's correct and you didn't have iTunes set up to have the full-resolution photos on your iPod, then you can still get the photos back...they'll just be the smaller versions that are the resolution of the iPod screen. :(

9. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

No what I did was format and put all the photos onto a CD

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

From your iPod right? or from the iPhoto Library in Home/Pictures?

Either way...the process of getting them back in should basically be the same.

11. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Ok, sorry, I was afraid I might have misunderstood something.

Did you copy the whole iPhoto Library folder?...if so, I would just replace both the modified and originals folders in your new Home/Pictures/iPhoto Library with the ones you have on the CD. Then, hold down command-option when launching iPhoto and select the last item in that dialog box.

13. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Unfortunetely I was not that smart :eek:

14. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Do you just have the photos themselves? (with none of the folders) or do you have portions of the folder structure from inside the iPhoto Library folder (like, for example the year folders inside the Originals folder).

If you have some of the folders...put them in the same place in your new iPhoto Library folder as you copied them from in your old one. Then hold command-option, launch iPhoto and select that last dialog box option.

If you just have one big folder full of photos. Just keep the photos in that folder on the CD, then go to iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced and make sure that Importing: Copy files to iPhoto Library... is checked, then use Film > Import to Library... and you should be good to go.

BTW...I'm not sure where iPhoto stores info like Keywords and Ratings...chances are that you may not have copied that information over (unless iPhoto stores it in the photo files, which I doubt)

15. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I tried importing but it said the files are invalid??

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You tried File > Import to Library and it didn't work?

Hmmm...they are .jpg files right? Then, try opening the files in Preview app. If Preview opens them, then I can't figure out why they wouldn't Import to the iPhoto Library.

Try a couple of things...first try selecting the .jpg files in the Finder and dragging them to the iPhoto icon. Try it with a couple, then if that works try it with the rest of them. You might also try copying that folder of photos from the CD to your Hard Drive before you try the above steps (that shouldn't really make a difference, but maybe iPhoto is being picky).

I'll keep brainstorming for other options/ideas...post back if the above suggestions either work or don't work.

17. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

18. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Great! :) Just for the record...which method worked?