having trouble installing 10.6 onto new SSD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nhood01, Aug 30, 2011.

1. nhood01 macrumors member

Hi guys,

i just installed a new 1 TB HD and a second 60 GB SSD with a HDD caddy that goes in place of my optical drive into my in my mid 2010, 15" MBP. The SSD will store the OS and apps and the 1TB drive for files.

Neither of the drives are pre installed an OS. I formatted a small external USB HD to boot snow leopard and install with after the two HD's are in.

I start up my macbook pro and hold down option right after the chime. It then shows me only the external HD with snow leopard to select. I choose it and it goes back to a grey screen with apple. I wait a while but nothing happens.

What is the problem here? How can i install snow leopard onto my new SSD?

Please help.

Thanks!

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm guessing the boot disk you created isn't done properly hence you are unable to boot from the USB stick.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

4. nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

I made the USB bootable OS from the factory snow leopard disk i have.

----------

Okay, i've put my old HD back in. So its my old HD and the new SSD in the computer now.

I started back up on my old HD and i've opened up disk utility and formatted the SSD. Now i've installed snow leopard onto the drive. The computer restarts but it sits in the grey apple startup screen forever.

I don't know what to do.

5. tomllama macrumors regular

Maybe I'm missing the point, but the easiest way to accomplish getting the SSD to be a boot drive is to simply take your existing boot drive and use Carbon Copy to clone it to the SSD. Verify the SSD boots and then replace the original. I like to put the SSD into an external USB enclosure for the setup as it's really easy (and I have a couple externals floating around to use to create backup clones for safe storage.

6. nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

I'm opposed to that method just because i want a really clean installation of the OS and apps. I'd prefer to clean install onto it.

I think the problem might be that im using the original snow leopard release disk and not the one that came with my mid 2010 macbook pro. Unfortunately, i cannot locate the installation disk that came with my computer. Do you know any place i can download the version i need?

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Try switching the port the SSD is connected to (move the SSD to the HD bay and the HDD to the optical bay).

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

Start up from the old HD, download the latest Combo 10.6.8 updater from Apple and run it, pointed at the SSD.
    The retail SL DVD nstall disk does not have the drivers needed, but the combo updater does, so that should work.
    Good Luck