Having trouble installing Office:2004 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spokebuster, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Spokebuster macrumors newbie

Hello. I hope someone can help me. So here's the deal.

I've been using Office X for some time. I bought Office 2004 for Mac (Student Teacher Edition) from a friend who upgraded last May. I got the manual and the Product ID with it. I never got around to Installing it, but my hard drive failed recently and Apple replaced it, obviously without any of my stuff on it.

So I decided if I have to reinstall all my software, I'd go ahead and use the Office 2004 as I don't think the Office X is fully compatible with Tiger (because of it's age and a few issues I've had with it over the past two years). Now, here's the problem. When I tried to install it, the product ID didn't work as the Product/CD Key. I called my friend and she no longer has the box or the Product Key, and of course, the Product key from my Office X doesn't work.

So now I'm stuck. Is anyone familiar with Office 2004 for Mac? Is there any difference between the "retail" version and the Student/teacher version that would prevent the Product Key from one with working with the other? Would anyone be willing to share their Product key with me, to install the software so I can get back to work?

I've already lost 4 days in time (and have to recreate 2 days worth of work that was done after my last file backup) and don't have time to deal with this stuff.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm sorry, it's in violation of the EULA to use someone else's serial number and is viewed as piracy on these boards.

MacRumors does not condone the piracy of software for whatever reason, even genuine ones.

You could look at iWork or Open Office as a replacement (which you should anyway, as Microsoft is the fount of all evil...)

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry OP, but you are probably looking at a purchase of MS Office: Mac 2008. Once you lose your product key code and proof of purchase (though you probably never had it in your possession) you have no recourse to reinstall the software. You probably could have "backed up" everything on an external hard drive, but it sounds like you didn't do that...:(