Having trouble Jailbreaking this iPod Touch 4.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by BallTilYaFall, Dec 19, 2010.

1. BallTilYaFall macrumors newbie

I got my sister an iPod Touch for Xmas and I'm trying to Jailbreak it.
    It's a 3rd generation, version 4.1, model MC008LL.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting the jailbreak to work.
    So far, I've tried limera1n and greenpois0n. I've also tried altering my computer's hosts file and adding “74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com” to the end (w/out the quotations), then shift-restoring in iTunes back to 4.0 but I get a 3194 error every time.
    I've read somewhere about shsh blobs or something, but idk if this applies to me as this iPod hasn't been jailbroken before (at least I don't think it has)

Is it possible to jailbreak this model of iPods?

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

3. BallTilYaFall, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

BallTilYaFall thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Lemme try real quick and I'll report back.

Also I just tried restoring to my current firmware just to refresh everything and tried limera1n again but no luck. The program will act like everything jailbroke successfully but then no limera1n icon shows up on my springboard.

EDIT:
    No... I looked into redsn0w and it says that it only works for 2g ipods. This is a 3g.

4. BallTilYaFall thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to that site and found the tutorial for me (iPod Touch 3G, iOS 4.1, Greenpois0n). This was the 2nd or 3rd time I'd tried Greenpois0n but I figured I'd try it again with this tutorial and still no luck. The iPod will display all of the scrolling white font on black screen like it's doing the jailbreak process but when it's done and you go to the springboard, there's no Loader icon or anything. I tried placing greenpois0n.exe in the root of the C: drive but it still didn't work...

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you try rebooting after jailbreak? You didn't see any blank icon?

6. BallTilYaFall thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, no blank icon. I checked after the initial reboot after the jailbreak. And then manually rebooted again, but no icon.

7. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

8. BallTilYaFall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's where I got it.
    Damn this is frustrating... been trying to jailbreak this thing all weekend :(

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Have you tried either upgrading to 4.2.1 or downgrading to 4.0?

10. BallTilYaFall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah as said in the original post, I tried downgrading to 4.0 but it didn't work. I looked up how to do it and it said I had to go into my hosts file in System 32 and add some Apple id address thing to spoof the downgrade while using the shift-select option in iTunes.

Is 4.2.1 the latest update, or would I have to download that firmware and manually update to it?

11. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

O my bad I didn't see the 4.0 bit. But yea 4.2.1 is the latest firmware version. I'm pretty sure it's jailbreakable with an iPod 3G and redsn0w or limera1n (I know it is with a 2G because I did it with redsn0w).

12. BallTilYaFall thread starter macrumors newbie

K I looked into that redsn0w jailbreak but with my 3g it'd have to be un-tethered. So I'll just wait until something new comes out or keep trying ways to jailbreak my current setup.

13. Mac Fan 4 Ever macrumors regular

You could downgrade to 4.1....that's what I did.